Good Morning

Your eyes sleepily cracked open, slamming back shut from the bright sunlight. Too bright. Way too bright. Hmmm...wait... sunlight? SONNET!! She's not awake! You jump out of bed, not even caring you were completely naked, your morbid mom brain telling you that your sweet baby girl suffocated in her sleep. You burst through the door, ready to sprint into Sonnet's nursery, but stopped dead. Tom stood, with a stunned expression in front of Sonnet' s high chair, bowl of oatmeal in hand, and spoon midair, dripping onto the marble floor. An oatmeal covered face, Sonnet, pointed an oatmeal covered finger in your direction "Mama." You smile sheepishly at your daughter, realizing how ridiculous you must look. "Good morning darling," Tom said amusingly "Sleep well?" You shot him a look "Excuse me." And turned back to your room to cover yourself with a robe, clearly hearing the "Ehehehe's" in your wake. You return to see pancakes on the island bar, along with juice, and fresh coffee. Tom had cleaned up Sonnet and placed her in her playpin and was busy cleaning the oatmeal massacre that was her highchair. He looked up with a disappointed look, "I liked you better naked." He teased. You shook your head and kissed him, "I was sure Sonnet had died in her sleep when I woke up to sunlight." Tom laughed "I'm sorry to have startled you, but she woke up saying Dada, not Mama, so I decided to let you sleep." "It's so strange," you said, sitting at the island and pouring coffee, "She's never even heard the term Daddy, and yet she senses that your hers." Tom beamed, sitting next to you, and started putting pancakes on your plate, "Aren't I though?" You searched his face, "Yes, I suppose so." You replied, sipping coffee, "consider yourself completely stuck with us for the next 18ish years." Tom frowned "Oh don't be ridiculous darling, I'll be stuck with you longer than that." He poured syrup over your pancakes "There's also college, her wedding, grandchildren.." you laughed and put your hands up in surrender "Whoa whoa whoa DADDY, slow your row, let's just get through this teething phase and see if you still want anything to do with us." Tom looked as though he suddenly remembered something and jumped up "Oh, I forgot!" He went to the cupboard and took a hobnob from the package, then took Sonnet from her playpin. You watched him, confused and he sit back down beside you and sit Sonnet on the table in front of him. "Look darling! A biscuit!" Tom held the hobnob in front of her and she happily took it. "Tom, it's a little early for cook-" "Ssshhh! Just look!" He said, grinning. You watched Sonnet investigate the hobnob, Tom was right, you only had Oreos. This was a different kind of "biscuit". Deciding it was ok, she opened her mouth to soak it in drool, and you saw it! A little white speck in the front of her bottom gum. A TOOTH! "She has a tooth! Oh my god, Sonnet, you have a tooth!" Tom laughed and Sonnet smiled and cooed. "I saw it this morning, maybe our battle of the gums are over. Mum says once the first one pops out, the rest are quick and easy." You laid your head on his shoulder and watched Sonnet chew soggy hobnob. "See, we made it." Tom said, kissing the top of your head, "bring on the rest." Sonnet offered the soggy cookie to him, "Bless you, darling, thank you." He said, taking a bite. She offered it to you, "No thank you, lovie, I'll stick to Oreos." You said giggling. Tom got up to place her back with her toys, "Mummy isn't very English." You heard him whisper to her, "We'll have to teach her how." "I heard that, ya redcoat." You said, tucking into the pancakes.