19. New Lady in Town

'Miss Linton!' I was just about to climb into the coach when, glancing back, I caught sight of Mr Rikkard Ambrose marching towards me at full steam. 'What is this I hear about you dismissing all the staff of my manor?'

You mean the delivery men of Ambrose's Furniture Emporium?

I refrained from saying it out loud, though. Instead, I gifted him with a cheerful smile. 'Ah, yes. I'm so sorry about that. I'm just about to remedy the situation.'

He gazed at me for a moment. 'So...you've seen the error of your ways?'

'Definitely. We need staff. And I intend to see to it that we get it.'

Suspicion glinted in his ice-cold eyes. 'You mean you intend to hire back the men you dismissed without my permission, correct? That is what you are going to do?'

I just gave him another charming smile and swung myself up into the coach. 'I'm going to do what you've always wanted me to do: take charge of your house.'

'Now, wait just a minute!' Taking a step forward, he reached out. 'I forbid you—'

'Karim!' I hollered. 'Now!'

A beautiful Punjabi curse rose into the English country air. A whip snapped. Before Mr Ambrose could grab hold of me, the coach jerked forward and started rolling down the driveway, away from the manor. Leaning out of the window, I started to wave at my favourite iceberg.

'Don't wait up for me, honey!' I called. 'I'll be a while!'

Turning to Karim, I pointed forward, down into the valley, where, from beyond the trees, I could see the smoke of a settlement rise into the air.

'Let's see if this isn't the famed village of Collundale, shall we?'

Karim uttered a half-groan, half-growl. 'I'm going to pay for this later.'

'You probably are,' I allowed. 'But if I manage to get some staff, at least you won't have to put on an apron and serve as combined footman, stable hand and scullery maid. Won't that be nice?'

In response, Karim cracked the whip again and urged the horses to go on faster. I guess the mental of image of him in a frilly white apron was an even better motivator than the wrath of Rikkard Ambrose.

It wasn't long before we rounded the woods and rolled out onto a winding road that offered a beautiful view of the valley and all that lay within. My breath caught for just a moment when I caught sight of the village of Collundale for the first time. I had always been a city girl at heart. But something about the little village snuggled up against the side of the hills tugged at my heartstrings.

'Let's get down to business, shall we?'

I wrapped my parasol against the roof of the carriage. 'Drive, please.'

When, a few minutes later, the massive black coach that had more in common with a hearse than with a wedding carriage rolled into the village of Collundale, the whole village seemed to freeze. Everyone stopped what they were doing to stare at the vehicle, clearly expecting it to roll right through, just like everything else did.

Then the coach came to a halt in front of the inn.

Pushing open the door, I stepped out and took a sniff of the despicably fresh country air. No smoke. No sweat. Not even a hint of dog droppings. Oh well, I suppose you couldn't expect country people to know what real air was.

Not waiting for Karim to extend the stairs, I jumped down into the muddy lane, dusted off my dress and stepped towards a boy who was sitting against a wall not too far off, cleaning an old pair of boots.