Prologue

Once apon a time, all hell broke loose in the place that we call "Earth".

Haha, gotcha there. Thought this was a fairytale? Well it is. Kind of. More like a fairytale from satan to his demonic child that burns down a village with just the snap of his-

I'm getting off topic. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that there was once a place called Earth where the only thing people did to each other was steal, backstab, lie, cheat, smile, laugh, sometimes murder, and of course, have sex. All of this stuff still happens only now, we can add "rise from the dead and eat each other" to the list. I wish I had something to eat right about now but I don't go around eating people. I mean sheesh! The least they could've done is eat the ham from my pantry instead of my brother.

Just kidding, my brother is still alive. So is my mom. And I would say my dad, but he died about 4 years ago in a fire. He was a fireman, and he was my idol. I looked up to him for so long that it feels like he's not even gone but I turn around sometimes and realize I can't call out for him. My mom remarried and the new guy is my baby brothers dad.

It hurts but I've been through it all before and I know I can just push through it.

Most of the people we've run across, they've all had similar stories.

Heard of the outbreak. Got their family together. Got supplies and weapons. Left home. Found a camp. Camp gets overrun. They're separated. Do things their not proud of. Meets new people. Blah blah blah and it all turns into a never ending cycle of those things happening over and over and over.

My story, however had been different. I will say that I did lose people, and I'd done stuff I'd regretted... But what happened that winter changed me, though I'm not at liberty to tell you that story...

Oh who am I kidding, I'm going to tell you anyway.

Linden Deminski is my name. I'm 17... I think. The walkers have been roaming around for at least a year, maybe more. All I know is that it was spring when it all broke down and now.. Well now it's spring of the next year, almost summer. But the season changes aren't what this is about.

This is about what happened when they changed. When the warm sun went away and the colorful leaves fell off their trees and when the snow came down. That is when the story starts. But I can't quite go straight there right now. I have to explain myself... Explain my place and what and where and why.

I have to explain the story of how me and everyone I loved became as cold as the dead.