Chapter one

I hate home school. It's like a prison with only you and the warden. Or an asylum with other people but your mind is so messed up you forgot that their there. It took a while but I finally seemed to get the message across to my mom, who is against all things public. She's like a hermit with a kid, I'm not sure how that even happened. "Are you sure you want to do this?" My mom asks this question for the third, and I hope, final time. "Yes mom, I'm fifteen I want to go to normal high school," I respond with the same thing I said to the last two. She was more nervous than I was. Why was she nervous? I'm the one going to high school.                                                                         I nearly run out the door when my phone alarm goes off to warn me I have ten minutes to get to the bus. My mom tried to protest but I was gone before she could say a single word. I calm to a walk once I'm three houses away from my own. This is the first day of school so I shouldn't stand out too much, although most of the freshmen probably know lots of people from their middle school. One disadvantage, not so bad. The classes can't be more difficult than my mom hounding me on everything in the entire curriculum of eighth grade. Hopefully people aren't friendly, well, smart enough not to approach me. I clutch my book bag, its black with some gold studs on the lapel and front pockets. It matches my shoes, wedge converse with gold studs on the sides facing out. I tried to find something decent but all my clothes were more around the house. I pull at the bottom of my maroon skirt, do they have a strict dress code? I probably should have done some research on the school before I enrolled, enrolled online of course. Did high schools even have a dress code? My black undershirt starts to ride up against my stomach. I reach under my black t-shirt and pull it down again. I should probably tuck it into my skirt. My breakfast rolls around in my stomach. I'm not prepared for high school. Although I never thought I was prepared but I thought I would be more prepared than this.

The bus stop looked about sixteen people over crowded. You could see a very upset thirty year old man glaring at all the high school students on the sidewalk in front of his house. No one looks at me too closely but I try to examine them like a scientist studying a rare specimen. You could tell the difference between who was a freshmen and who's been here before. The freshmen looked around almost giddy, some shrunk back under the glare of the house owner. The seniors and second years looked comfortable with the glare and the overcrowding although some of them should have cars already. I couldn't quite tell their ages from their faces but from what I could tell, logically speaking, that the age groups would be between. I thought for a moment, calculating. Fourteen to.... eighteen at most. Everyone perked up at an extremely loud engine noise.

The bus looked a lot like the one's in those stupid steryotypical high school movies. The freshmen pushed and shoved at each other writhing for a spot like baby snakes. The second years and seniors watched the freshmen uninterested. After all the freshmen but me had climbed onto the bus rather hastily The second years piled into the bus about to be followed by the seniors, when one caught sight of me. "Are you going to get on the bus?" he looked at me amused. His voice was loud and young. I look at the ground and rush onto the bus not looking up again until I had to face the constant loud chatter of the bus full of people. New people, ones I haven't met, all of them I don't want to meet. I sit in a seat as close to the door as I can, which is in the middle of the bus. I lean back and put my fee on the empty spot next to me hoping the message will be clear enough. It's not. "Can I sit here?" it's the same boy from earlier. The senior, amusement still fresh on his face, moves my feet before I can react.  "Thanks," he smiles at me like I politely moved my feet without hesitation. "I'm Abel, who are you?" he extends his hand still smiling at me. "Scarlet," I answer with a few seconds of hesitation. He continues to smile "Nice to meet you Scarlet," I left his hand alone in the air. He put it down to his side again. He tried to make conversation multiple times but each time I managed to end it within a few sentences. Soon he gave up and the rest of the bus ride was silent between me and Abel. The chattering in the background was still there, it was somewhat comforting knowing people were there without having to hold a conversation myself.

Please comment on anyway possible you think I could improve the story! Thank you and Toodles :3