Chapter 21- Monsters

Author's Note:  I truly hope you enjoy this chapter. It was fun to write...

-------------------------------------------------------------      

         That night was spent catching up on our respective lives, the latest gossip around school, and reminiscing about times in our past. We laughed regularly until it was time for sleep, and I gratefully thought that it was a welcome change from all the screaming and crying I had been doing this past month. Bedtime came upon us quite early, since I was so exhausted, and to my relief Jennifer decided on skipping school tomorrow so I wouldn't have to be alone.

        The next day was filled with movies, trashy reality TV shows, junk food, and a lot more of our immature antics. It made the time pass quicker than we wanted, though, and soon it was nightfall. Our moods turned somber, as Jennifer's parents were returning tomorrow, and it was time for me to finalize a plan of action.

Up until now, we had been splayed out lazily on Jennifer's couch, eating candy and watching some dumb romantic comedy when I finally decided I needed to get up. We had been on that couch for hours.

"Well Jennifer, I think I should go take a shower. I feel kind of gross."

She nodded and popped a gummy bear into her mouth, eyes still glued to the screen.

"Okay. Towels are in the linen closet."

She didn't need to tell me, since this was practically my second home, but my friend was nothing if not accommodating and hospitable.

I scooted in between her legs and a glass coffee table on my way to the stairs, and squeaked loudly as I felt a giant slap on my butt. I glanced back at her snickering form, my mouth open in faux shock, but all I got in return was Jennifer sticking her tongue out at me like a petulant child.

"It was in my face, I couldn't help it!" She cried, doing her best not to laugh.

"Wow, is it really that irresistible?" I winked, slapping one hand on my butt. The sound of our laughter followed me as I sprinted upstairs.

*********************************

         My head was upside-down, flaming red curls hanging towards the floor, as I blow dried the thick locks. Over the sound of the dryer, I heard Jennifer's doorbell ring, so my thumb hit the "off" switch for a moment as her voice came from downstairs.

"I GOT IT!" She boomed, and I resumed my drying with a chuckle.

        Since Jennifer insisted on keeping her house the temperature of a jungle, I had donned a skimpy tank top and short pajama set after my shower. Once again, not something I would normally wear around my own house, but they would do. The shorts were pale pink and stopped above my mid-thigh, and the tank top was extremely low cut and flimsy.

        Once my hair was mostly dry, I turned out the lights and left Jennifer's room. I didn't hear anything but the TV downstairs, so assumed Jennifer was either watching it or in the bathroom.

"Jennifer, I need your help brainstorming about tomorrow. I was thinking-"

        As I rounded the corner into the living room, I stopped dead in my tracks and all breath left my lungs instantly. My friend was standing on the other side of the living room, looking at me with terrified, pleading eyes, as Jensen held her tightly from behind. One hand was securely over her mouth, and his other hand had a solid grip on her upper arm. I barely had time to think as I let out an ear-shattering shriek.