Chapter Six

"Rose, wake up!" Lissa repeated over and over again.

I pulled the pillow over my head to block out her voice. "Go away!" I groaned.

"Rosemarie Hathaway-- get out. Now." I heard her snarl.

I shot out of bed, thinking she was threatening Dimitri. My eyes scanned the room: No Dimitri. Only Lissa smirking. I wore a wry smile, and hit her with the pillow. She laughed, then apologized. I got dressed in jeans and a tank top, then we went downstairs to eat breakfast... Only to discover Tasha sitting at the kitchen table. While I was thinking of sneak attacks, Lissa ran to Christian, wrapping her arms around him. I put on a fake smile and gave Viktoria a morning hug. Olena's neutral face became happy when she saw me. From the corner of my eye I saw Tasha grimace at how much Dimitri's family liked me. Very petty.

"It's so great to see you again, Rose." Tasha said with a fake smile. "I didn't know you would be here. With Dimitri's family, I mean."

I wore a genuine smile, finding her attitude funny. "It's great to see you too, Tasha. I thought you and Christian were back in America. This is such a surprise. If I knew you were coming, I would've put on something nicer."

Viktoria chuckled and put her hand over her mouth. I rolled my eyes at her, and dug into my food. Tasha looked so confused, it was hard to keep a straight face. After breakfast, we gathered in the living room and talked. Nothing interesting, of course. Just Tasha's pregnancy! Olena was putting on quite the show. I knew she hated Tasha, but at the same time, she wanted to show respect for the mother of her grandchild. During that conversation, it somehow shifted to me.

"So, Rose, how's your pregnancy? I mean, it must be different since the father isn't around, right?"

I swallowed the water I was drinking, and set the bottle down. That bitch doesn't know what's coming. I gave her a cruel smile. Dimitri stiffened. "Well, Tasha, it's just fine without the father. In fact, I think it would be complicated if he were a part of my life. Besides, it's his loss," I stood up. "Look at this." I said, gesturing to my baby bump. "It's beautiful. Though, you wouldn't know because you're not exactly showing yet. Why is that?"

I saw Dimitri pinch the bridge of his nose, but I was fixing my cold stare on Tasha. "I'm pretty sure it's because I was a lot skinnier than you before I became pregnant. Actually, I don't see much of a difference."

My jaw clenched. She is not worth my time. I gave her a nod, and made my way to the front door. I rested my hand on the knob, then turned back to see Tasha's confident smile. "Yeah, well, my face is still prettier. Dimitri thinks so, too." And, with that, I left. I didn't turn back, not even when Lissa was yelling my name. Footsteps sounded behind me, and I turned around. Only, I wish I hadn't.

"You have no right, Rosemarie!" She was speaking loud enough for everyone standing outside to hear her. Dimitri's family was watching, waiting to jump in. "Dimitri chose me! He left you that day and slept with me! He used you! He took your virginity! And the best part is you think I don't know! I know who the father is! You can't leave us alone!" A tear escaped the corner of her eye. "You can't leave any guy within five miles of you alone! I'm a royal! All you are is a blood-whore! A dhampir girl that will be used and tossed to the curb!"

My fists clenched, ready to punch her in the face. But, I showed an amazing amount of control. "You're right. About everything, Natasha. I am a blood-whore. Dimitri did use me. But, you know what? I'm still twenty times stronger than you are. You are a royal, yet you don't stand up for your rights. I'm sure you do know who the father is, yet you're doing nothing about it. And, now for my secret. You're not pregnant. I can tell. And, your aura hasn't doubled. I can see it through Lissa's eyes. I'm guessing Dimitri wanted to leave you, but you wouldn't let him. So, you made up this lie to keep him by your side throughout my pregnancy. And, you're not worth my time." She froze, and I walked away.