chapter 10

Backstory time!! I thought it was about time to explain certain things and stuff.  It's very serious... well kinda... idk...  So like yuppers! Two posts in one day O.o

          Lucky you guys!

********

ANNA'S POV

          I was sitting on a park bench watching as the people pass by.  I spotted Luke coming toward me with two hot dogs in his hand.  It was still so hard for me to believe that he was once a homeless guy.  I wonder what his story was. How does someone like him turn into a dirty hobo?  Someday I'm going to find the courage to ask him.

          "Here you go."  He said as he handed me a hot dog and plopped down next to me.

          "Thanks."

          I nibble absent- mindedly on the hot dog.  It was really good and warmed my hands.  I felt his eyes piercing the side of my skull.  This made me slightly uncomfortable.

          "Anna."  I stopped munching on it and turned to look into his emerald eyes staring intensely at me. "Can I ask you something?"

          "What is it?" my face was beginning to feel flushed.  Why was I so embarrassed?

          "When we met..." He searched for the right words to say. "Why were you...?" He stopped again.  His face now wore a puzzled expression.  It was like he couldn't remember what he wanted to say.  He smiled a shy smile at me.  "This was a lot easier to ask in my mind."

          I giggled.  "Just spit it out."

          "Well." He gave a low sigh. "I've been thinking about the night we met.  Why were you in a dark alley in the first place? At such a late hour? I'm aware that you and your parents have problems but I don't think you should put yourself in danger for that."

          There was his bluntness again.  He was just so straightforward and honest it was almost refreshing.  And was he concerned for me?  I felt a little happy for that.  Then I thought about the other part of what he said.  I knew it was obvious that our family had its problems but it still hurt when someone pointed it out. 

          For some reason I think it would be okay to tell him.  I felt safe with him.  I trusted him with my life.  Sure I was a total bitch to him all the time but that's only because I don't like getting to close to people.  He was different though.  He made my little insecurity seem almost pointless.

          "Yeah, it's a long story."

          "I have all the time in the world for my princess."  He said with a mix of sincerity and playfulness. Too anyone else in the world that would have probably sounded kind of creepy but to me it was comforting.  I hugged my legs to my chest and rested my chin on my knees.  I watched an old couple walk by smiling at each other with their hands intertwined.  They said nothing but then again they really didn't need to.  The loving look in their eyes was enough.  So content with each other that they didn't even have to speak. To me that was true love.  Luke had followed my gaze and a sweet smile formed on his face. We both watched them in peace until they disappeared.

          I close my eyes and let out a shaky sigh.  I could feel a hand take hold of mine.  It was warm and strong. I smiled up at him as I stretched my legs out.  My head rested on his shoulder and I began my long winded story.

          "I guess you could say it started when I was really young.  They were never really home and always left me with a nanny.  That's one of the prices to pay for being rich and successful.  They still do, you know.  Just leave for days without saying goodbye.  The only difference now is that I'm too old for a nanny.  You could say that I was feeling neglected and that no one really cared for me.  So I starting acting like a spoiled little bitch and I guess I thought that would somehow get their attention.  I can't even remember the last time my dad ever smiled at me like he has for you..." 

          The tears threatened to leak.

           "Or my mom..."   The flood gates opened and a waterfall of tears flowed down my cheeks.  I tried to wipe them away but they wouldn't stop.  Between hiccups I attempted to say, "I'm sorry I don't know why I'm crying." But I had no idea if he could understand me. 

          He looked at me with sad eyes.  It was like it hurt him to see me crying.  I felt so weak right now.  I haven't cried in front of someone in a really long time.  I almost had forgotten what it's like.  To feel the water run down your cheeks.  To taste the saltiness of your own tears. Crying was a sign of weakness and I couldn't bear for anyone to see me in such a pathetic state.  Except this time it didn't feel pathetic at all.  Quite the opposite actually. It was like there was a weight that was magically lifted off me just because I cried in front of Luke. He embraced me and squeezed so hard I could barely breathe.  I felt that safety with him that I loved so much.  

          "Anna..." He whispered in my ear as he stroked my hair.  I cried even harder not caring anymore.  I cried and cried.  And he just stayed there holding me and softly stroking my hair.

LUKE'S POV

          "Or my mom..."   Tears began to flow down her cheeks.  She wiped them away but they just kept on coming down.  I'm not sure but I think she said, "I'm sorry I don't know why I'm crying." What did she have to be sorry for?

          Oh poor Anna.  How long has it been since she's cried like this?  It pained me to see her like this.  She looked so innocent and fragile.  I wanted to protect her from all this pain. I couldn't help myself anymore so I hugged her. I wanted to help her but this is all I could think of doing. I think there were no words that could be said right now. Seeing her like this made me realize how delicate she really was.  This moment made me realize just how far I was in love with her.

          "Anna..." I say just for her to hear. I absently started stroking her soft hair.  It was the only comforting thing I could think of doing.  She shook in my arms and started crying even more.  I don't know how long she cried for but it didn't really matter to me.  I would stay there for as long as my princess needed me too.

          Man, was I whipped or what?

************

Uurrrhhhh sorry it was so short but I felt like the chapter needed to end there... So what do you think?  We see a peek into Anna's heart. I'm gunna post the 11th part soon ok?  But I have a headache and need a break... Im sorry :(  comments are much appreciated!