I Never Said I Wouldn't See You

So this is kinda based on an idea my friends and I were trading back and forth, that after her "death" Elphaba continues to keep tabs on Glinda, and that kinda evolved into this! Enjoy!

Elphaba was getting restless, and she'd only been stuck under the floor for seven minutes.

Technically, under the floor. According to Fiyero's note, the tunnel under the trapdoor led to somewhere near the kitchen, and he had written that Elphaba could sneak over there and find something to eat before returning to the tunnel to wait for him.

But Elphaba didn't go to find food. She waited for the pounding of footsteps on the floor above to subside, and then she made her way back up to the study.

On her way out of the secret tunnel, Elphaba almost bumped into Chistery. Starting, she quickly retreated back into the shadows, watching the winged monkey head towards the staircase, clutching something close to himself.

"Goodbye, Chistery," Elphaba murmured. "I'm so sorry." Elphaba had grown more attached to the monkey than she should have been, but Chistery was good company... good company that Elphaba had tricked into thinking she was dead.

Elphaba's heart throbbed. "Damn it," she mumbled, brushing tears away. "I am not getting emotional over a stupid monkey." Elphaba wished she could bring Chistery with her, but a winged monkey would find it so easy to leave Elphaba, and a talking winged monkey might just let the truth slip out to the wrong person.

Elphaba waited for Chistery to pass by again. The tips of his wings dragged along the ground, gathering dust. Refusing to watch, Elphaba waited for the creature to go. She allowed herself to take one last glimpse at the monkey's back, internally apologizing once again for the pain those wings had cost her dear friend, before she started moving, hoping, praying, wishing despite everything that there was still a chance that-

A sob.

Elphaba crept up to the door, pressing her back against the wall as she listened. She heard another sob, the sound of fabric rustling, and then a loud wail that startled her into almost knocking over a nearby chair.

"Why?" came the high-pitched cry. "Why couldn't you just put aside those stupid shoes? Why didn't you come with me to join the Wizard? You'll never know he... you... God, Elphaba, why did you have to come into my life and ruin everything?"

Elphaba heard the sound of knees smashing into the floor, and her stomach twisted as a heart-wrenching sob echoed around the castle.

Elphaba slowly put her head around the corner and saw her.

Glinda was still here. Glinda was kneeling on the ground, sobbing hard, tears falling down her face. She was clutching Elphaba's black hat as though it were the only thing keeping her alive.

Elphaba felt as though her heart were breaking. She wondered whether she should defy Fiyero... but Glinda worked for the Wizard. And though years had passed, she was still a hardcore gossiper.

Glinda let out a soft cry, clutching a familiar green bottle in her hand. Elphaba sank down against her wall, tears beginning to work her way down her face. This whole escapade had been a bad idea: Elphaba knew that this image of a heartbroken Glinda would haunt her sleep for the rest of her life.

"I'm so sorry, Glinda," Elphaba whispered.

Elphaba stayed, huddled against her wall, not bothering to wipe away her tears as she listened to Glinda break down, until finally the other girl was done.

Glinda stood up. "I'll miss you," Glinda said. "So much. You were my best friend, And you really did change me for the better. I... I... guess I won't clear your name."

Elphaba heard footsteps and leaned her head back against the wall.

Glinda's last words echoed. "You were the one person who ever truly meant something to me. And this is all my fault. If I hadn't sent Boq after Nessa, you would all be alive and well. I'm so sorry, Elphie."

Elphaba waited, and then she looked. For some reason the sight of her black hat sitting abandoned in the middle of the floor caused another wave of sadness to erupt, and Elphaba left it there, bawling as quietly as she could on her way back to the tunnel, where she fell into a restless sleep.

Hours later, when Fiyero showed up, Elphaba forced a smile and said that everything was going to be okay.

Nothing was ever going to be okay for her ever again.

Hi guys! This is just a quick oneshot I thought I'd do to get me started here on Wattpad and to figure out how to work stuff before I start my NaNoWriMo, which will be about musical theatre. So if anyone's interested, that's coming out November 1st. Don't be afraid to leave any criticism, I'm welcome to all the negatives too :)

Thanks for reading!!!!