十四

[031215190518]

*

Gnossienne

[n] a moment of awareness that someone you've known for years still has a mysterious and private inner life you don't know about. 

see also;

[n] what Mimi finds herself experiencing when she begins to wonder how much [y/n] has kept from her after one small slip-up. 

—the dictionary of obscure sorrows

MIMI'S EYES WERE TWO FULL MOONS, her jaw struggling to keep itself from hitting the floor as she attempted to digest her friend's words. [y/n] helped herself to another strawberry as she nervously waited for her friend to reply. The girl's fingers trembled, the ruby-red jewel slipping out of her fingers and tumbling back onto the plate with a sad plop. [y/n] watched as strawberry juice splashed over the rim of the plate and onto her bedsheet, mentally wailing. That was going to be so hard to get out of her blankets!

"Yes."

"Sorry, did you say something?" [y/n] snapped back to attention, her fingers absent-mindedly tracing the small pink stain. "Mimi, could you repeat that again?"

Her friend smiled at her, eyes shining with what our dear main character supposed was determination of some sort. [y/n] didn't spend too much time peering at Mimi's cloudy sky colored eyes, so she wasn't really sure. 

"Yes! I'll gladly help you on your quest to do whatever it was you said. Find the truth or something? I don't really get it, but sure, whatever sort of dilemma you find yourself in, I'll help you. Just tell me what you need to do!"

Oh thank goodness for Mimi! [y/n] let out a sigh of relief, eyes lighting up. The strawberry stain was quickly forgotten about as she slid off of her bed and paced to her drawer. The papers were all lifted out again, the false floor soon lying on the ground with a soft clatter. Mimi, thankfully, kept silent and stifled her surprise by clamping a hand over her gaping mouth.

"So according to Rokku, my sickness is that basically, I'm allergic to, you know, outside." [y/n] gestured to her window. "Mother Nature can literally kill me. Apparently there is either a chemical, or some small allergen in the air that makes my airways swell and close up and rashes to form on my skin. Rokku isn't quite sure. So yeah. That's my life-threatening illness for you, the bane of my existence."

Mimi nodded thoughtfully, munching on yet another strawberry. "I'm sensing there's something else you want to say" she said between bites of fruit. "You're...you want to investigate this?"

[y/n] held up her birth certificate with a triumphant flourish, the way she imagined magicians did when they pulled a rabbit out of their hats. Presto! She had her magic solution in her hand. 

"Yeah. There might be some cure that we don't know of that could help me finally go outside. So, today, right before you visited I was doing research about all types of allergies and asphyxiation. But none of them matched up to what Rokku told me, so either she's remembered wrong—highly unlikely if you think about her character—or it's so rare that no one on the internet knows about it."