But There's A Bump In The Road

“Niall, can you toss me my brush?” I ask as I pull my shirt over my head, in a frantic attempt to get dressed and out the door.

                He looks at me groggily from the bed and plops his hand on the table, trying to place it strategically on my hairbrush. I sigh and run over, grabbing it myself and dashing back to the mirror. It’s been about a week since we bought our house, and today is moving day. Unfortunately, with the stress of moving and packing, I totally forgot that I have a huge meeting with my boss at Seventeen Magazine today at 5 AM.

                It’s 4:40 and I’m still at home- Whoops.

                She flew all the way from New York, to England to talk to me, and I’m late. Oh dear.

                I wildly run the brush through my hair and straighten it out a little bit before giving up and putting it up in an easy, elegant bun.

                For a second, I look myself over in the mirror to make sure I look decent as I pull on some leather boots to match my leather pencil skirt and brown tank-top. “How do I look?” I ask Niall, who’s still in bed, trying to go back to sleep.

                “Blurry.” He mumbles as he rubs his eyes.

                I roll my eyes and grab my bag and ID from the table and walk towards him, kissing him on the forehead as I head out. “I’ll see you later. If the movers get here early, text me and I’ll see if I can come home! Bye!” Then, I dash out the door, quietly closing the door to not wake up any of the others, and going to my car.

                I quickly start the engine and drive off, going fast enough to make it on time, while still being cautious. The trees zoom by my car and my finger presses the button to turn on the radio.

                The song ‘We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together’ by Taylor Swift comes on.

                And almost as soon as that starts, my phone starts to ring.

                My eyes trail down to my phone for a moment, but I don’t pick up- that would be dangerous, since I’m on the road. About 30 seconds pass where it just rings and rings and rings, but I don’t pick up and allow my phone to send whoever it is to my voicemail.

                I hear the familiar ‘beep’ and whoever was calling starts to leave me a message.

                “Hey, Sadie.” My heart freezes. “It’s me- Heath. I know you’re probably mad at me, but please call me back. I would really love to talk to you. It’s important. Call me.”

                We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together ends and I sigh. Oh, the irony.

                I have to readjust my hands on the steering wheel because they grew so tense and sweaty while listening to that message.

                Heath. Heath Livington. I could go on and on about him.

                We used to date, and we were in love- I thought. In my mind, our future was all set up and there was no doubt in my head that he was the one I would eventually marry. But I guess reality struck me hard when I learned that he cheated on me with a girl named Sienna. Oh my God, I hate her. She’s caused me some pretty bad situations, too. In fact, she’s the reason I got into so much trouble during the tour with the boys.

                But I don’t understand why Heath called me.

                We haven’t talked in years. Ever since he left me for Sienna, we deleted each others numbers and pretended as if our memories together didn’t exist. Especially when we found out he was the father to her baby. I just don’t get why he suddenly decided to call me.