Chapter two ~*~

I slammed my door, walking at a fast pace. They were sitting on their car, tossing a big rock around the group. I took out my phone and put my head down, pretending to be on the phone. Maybe they wouldn’t notice me?

I let my brown hair fall down on my face, covering my shoulders. Hair was scattered everywhere, blocking even my view but I didn’t care. As long as they didn’t recognize me.

“Yo Marni baby!” one of them said, dropping the rock so they could signal me over. I could feel it crash into the ground, and my shoes were vibrating from it. It wasn’t a soft thud, either.

They had never even talked to me once in my life, and they wanted to start now? This is bad, this is very bad. If they want to talk to me, does that mean I’m on their list? I hope not.

I put my phone back in my pocket and turned around, walking over to them. I was afraid if I didn’t then they would throw the rock at me, or worse, add me to their kill list along with the unlucky victim. I fixed my hair and put it back in place.

“Hi, Stevie. Did you want something?” I asked, trying to speed things up. I did not want to be here long, let alone be here at all.

“Just you and your beautiful self to hang with us until the bell rings,” he said, giving me a cheesy wink.

That was weird. They had never paid attention to me before, so why are they starting now? They shouldn’t be starting now, not ever. I wanted no part of them.

“Err, ok,” I said, moving a little closer to them, afraid of what would happen if I didn’t.

“Come sit here baby,” Craig said, patting a spot which was right in the middle of the big gang. Nervously I walked over and sat down.

They were all staring at me from head to toe, taking me in. I looked down and cursed under my breath. My plan to go unnoticed today had not worked, because I was sitting here with them.

“So Marni, want to chill with us after school? We could go to McDonalds,” Tyler said, smirking.

I hated Tyler the most out of them all. He was the one that started the whole rape tradition, not just murder. Actually, I think he started all of it.

I sighed looking at the empty parking lot. None of my friends were here, so know body could save me.

“Actually I can’t today, sorry,” I said, thinking fast on my feet.

Even if I didn’t make their list I wouldn’t be caught dead hanging out with them in public.

People started pulling into the parking lot, looking at me with wide eyes, wondering if I was the victim. I was wondering that to, actually. What if I was? Would I spend my last days alone like the 49 other girls that had lost their lives?

“Why not baby? Can’t give up a little study time for us? I’m sure the teachers won’t mind, you being a smart sexy girl and all,” Stefan said, hoping off the car, looking at me the entire time.

Just then my phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket and saw who was calling, my best friend Grace. I looked at them and held up my index finger.

I slide my finger across the screen, glad she called.

“Marni, would you mind ditching with me today? Please, we can go to Burger King,” she coaxed me, saying the words in a singsong voice. Grace hated school, and was always ditching. Sometimes I went with her, sometimes I didn’t.

“Yeah, I would love to. Are you at the school?” if the gang wanted to spend a lot of time with me, they were going to have to find a different way other than school.

I looked at the boys, who could hear the conversation. Grace is a very loud speaker. Would they follow us? If they have killed and raped people, I’m sure ditching was nothing to them.

“Yeah, mom made me walk; do you have your car today?”

“Yeah, meet me in front of the school.”

I hung up and sighed. Grace was going to be pretty surprised when she found out where I was.

“Sorry guys, I have to go, I’ll see you later,” I said, smiling and getting off the car.

They said their goodbyes and let me go, which surprised me. Maybe I wasn’t the unlucky victim after all.

Right when I reached my car Grace showed up front, looking at me then at the gang. She stood by the gate, wanting me to drive over to her, so the gang wouldn’t notice her.

The thing is I didn’t blame her.

I sighed and jumped into my car, pulling it out of the parking lot and parking in front of Grace.

She smiled at me and opened the passenger door.

“So, remember what today is?” she asked me as she buckled her seat belt.

“The day we find out who dies”

“Yeah, have any idea on who it might be?” she asked, turning on the radio, “You know if we bet who it is and we win, the gang will give us money like that one nerd last year.”

I nodded, looking at her, blinking back my tears.

“Really? Who?”

“I think they are going after me, I’m sure of it Grace,” I said, holding back the tears in my eyes.

I admitted it to myself, even though I had been lying to myself ever since I woke up. I had a strange feeling it would be me this year. Inside, i just kind of knew.