Chapter Three (2021 Rework)

The next morning, I woke up to someone sitting on the floor next to me while petting my hair. Without opening my eyes, I rolled over quickly grabbing the person's wrist and holding my own across their neck.

"Jesus Christ, Morgan!" Oh, it's just Jackson.

"Don't 'Jesus Christ' me Jackson," I grunted, letting go of his wrist and getting off him. "Not my fault you thought petting me was a good way to wake me up." Rolling my eyes, I turned around and started going through the bags of clothes I'd been too lazy to put away last night.

"I gently wake you up and you go all ninja on me? What the hell?"

"Don't be such a wimp, Jack. It was just a chokehold."

"Yeah, that's a lovely way to say good morning."

"Good morning, now get out so I can go shower," I said with a laugh as I finally found all the pieces of clothing I was looking for.

"Don't have to tell me twice."

After shutting the door to the bathroom and taking a quick shower, I got out and wrapped up in a large, soft towel and began blowdrying my hair. I quickly braided my blonde waves into double french braids, bandaged up the partially healed wounds from yesterday and got dressed. My outfit for the day was a pair of black jeans with matching boots, a long sleeved maroon shirt, a black jean jacket and some silver rings with a long silver necklace. Seeing that it'd taken me nearly an hour to get ready, I hurried out into the hall and knocked on Jackson's door.

"Hurry up man, we're running late."

"I'm working on it," he called back. "I just gotta finish my hair."

I rolled my eyes and started making my way downstairs to grab something to eat. Based on all the gel Jackson had in his hair yesterday, I figured we'd probably be another 20 minutes or so before we were ready to leave.

Walking into the kitchen, I started digging through the cabinets, trying to remember where the bowls were. I heard a floorboard creak and then David started speaking from behind me. "What are you looking for sweetheart?"

I'm sure he heard my teeth grind together after saying that. I never really did like pet names, especially not that one after having heard it for years. "Bowls. I can't seem to remember where they are," I mumbled, furrowing my eyebrows as I opened up another cabinet.

"Understandable, it has been a while. Second cabinet to the right of the sink," he finished, an upset look on his face as he poured a cup of coffee. Placing the pot back on the maker, her shot me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry Morgan, I didn't mean-"

"It's fine," I smiled, cutting him off. I pulled out a bowland turned around as I sat it on the kitchen table. "Cereal?" I asked. David had a mouthful of coffee and settled on pointing towards the cabinet it was in.

Twenty minutes later, I was done eating, Jackson had finally finished his hair, and we were ready to leave just as David was finishing his coffee. "Alright I'm off. Have a great first day Morgan. If anyone picks on her, be sure to beat their ass Jackson."

"Will do Dad."

David nodded at him before wrapping me up in a hug. I stiffened, awkwardly patting his back a few times before pulling away. I don't like people being around me. It makes me uncomfortable. I've come to associate people with pain. I'm either hunting them and trying to inflict pain on them, or they're trying to hurt or kill me, the pain of which I've never really liked.

David seemed to notice, nodding sadly and backing away so I had some room. "Alright, well I'll see you kids tonight. Have a good day at school."

"Will do, thanks Dad."