Chapter 14

SCOTT

I wake up at 3:30 PM on that same Wednesday with Mitch's back pressed up against my chest. We fell asleep soon after our little exchange. My parents are going to be home soon. But I don't want to move from this position. Ever.

I feel Mitch shifting against me. He groans a little and stretches out his legs.

"Good afternoon, sleepy head," I say quietly, snuggling up against his back and tightening my arms around him.

"Good afternoon to you, too," he replies, yawning.

I'm a little confused about what we are. Are we an official couple? Or...

Mitch flips around so he's facing me. He snuggles up against my chest, his smaller body molding perfectly with my taller frame.

"Are we, like, together?" he asks, his voice a little muffled. It's like he read my mind.

"If you want," I say. I don't want to pressure him, even though I really want to be able to call him mine.

He hesitates, but finally says, "Yes. I do want it. If you do."

I smile and kiss his forehead. "I want it more than anything."

Mitch looks up at me and smiles in response. His smile can just light up a room. It's so adorable when he genuinely smiles, when it reaches his eyes.

His eyes dart away for a minute while he checks his phone.

"I need to go soon. But, if you want to come over..?"

Who is this? This is a different Mitch. Totally different from the mask he'd had on for everyone else, besides me. But I can help him change that, so he's more open around Avi and Kevin and Kirstie. We'll need to work on Kirstie, but she's already softening towards Mitch. Well, kind of. Not really.

"Of course." I kiss his nose. "I just need to text my parents and tell them that I went to your house right after school."

Mitch scrunches up his nose. "Geez, Scottie, you're such a bad boy. Still lying to your parents. After all this time." He winks at me and sits up, stretching his arms above his head, "I might just have to punish you."

I sit up too, and wrap my arms around him while his arms are still in the air.

He shrieks as I pull him into my arms and shift so I'm carrying him bridal-style.

"What're you doing!" he says, in a combination of a whine and a laugh.

"I don't know." I walk to the kitchen and set him on the counter. "I'm just starving."

Mitch smiles. I open up the fridge and the cabinets, searching for food. I pass Mitch to get to the other side of the kitchen, and he jumps on my back.

He wraps his arms around my shoulders, and his legs around my waist. "What're you doing?" I ask him, spinning around.

"Nothing," he replies in a sing-song voice, peppering the back of my neck with kisses that send a shiver down my spine.

Suddenly I hear the front door opening. "Fuck!" I say under my breath, then quickly slap a hand over my mouth.

Mitch chuckles and rolls his eyes after he jumps off my back. He leans against the counter and mouths to me, "Tell the truth." He shrugs.

But I'm in a state of panic. We were strictly "just friends" yesterday, and now we're suddenly together and totally comfortable with each other? How do I explain that?

The truth, Scott. There's something called the truth.

But... I literally just came out to my parents not too long ago. How do I explain that Mitch and I have been friends with benefits and we confessed our love to each other just earlier today? They think that I'm a virgin still! They think I've never had alcohol! Hell, they thought I was straight! That's ridiculous!