Chapter 12

Ann's back rested against the brick wall as she hid. She could hear the girls squealing and she inhaled deeply, her breath shaking on its exhale and she clutched her hands together and against her fist. 

Further cries caught her own curiosity in her throat, eager to release itself, and the girl peered from behind the corner. It was Pin and Marcus... arguing and...

Her eyes widened as Marcus grabbed Pin and Ann covered her mouth to keep herself from betraying her own position. 

She watched until the situation began to diffuse and then turned, leaving hastily, hoping no one would spot her second exit.

Her stomach was in knots as she left the stables and followed a road until she dipped through the brush into a secluded area and continuing to walk.

She didn't know where she was, or where she was going, but as she got farther and farther away from it all, she felt the anger and confusion seep into acceptance, the betrayal, however, was still there.

Was she so upset because she hadn't wanted Pin to know? There was no doubt in her mind that she had feelings for Marcus, but this confusion with Pin was causing more turmoil than anything. She had come upon a small cliff face that faced the sea and thus sat, her legs dangling over the side as she stared out into the empty abyss before her.

The waves crashed onto the rock face below and she stared at the liquid before her; the essence of life, without it everyone on this planet would cease to exist, from the largest Blue Whale to the smallest phytoplankton. How was it that such a necessity could be one of the most deadly things. From tsunami's, hurricanes, to waterspouts and floods; the sheer panic that sets in as the body loses control due to a lack of oxygen during a single moment, where the individual is without any control of their body...

Images flashed in Ann's minds and she covered her face with her hands, her fingers curling into her hair as she groaned softly, a striking headache appearing with the images, then dissipating as they left her.

She sighed before lifting her face and staring back into the neverending expanse of blue and white. All these emotions, whirling around her like a maelstrom... how was she to make any sense of them if they kept battering themselves against their heart, making any realization impossible.

She felt she could have something with Marcus, and it would go well, but... 

She gritted her teeth. Pin. That was the issue.

The foliage behind her rustled and she turned abruptly, pulled from her thoughts, and he, the one causing all her problems, stepped forth.

At first, his face almost held guilt and a pinch of sadness, but then he smiled wearily and walked closer slowly. 

Ann turned away and curled her knees to her chest, resting her chin on them, pressing her lips together in a tight line.

He remained silent, and took a seat next to her, not wanting to admit the height, and the angry crashes of the waves below were a bit intimidating.  He swallowed audibly and turned to her.

"Are you alright..?" he spoke softly, staring at her profile.

She remained silent, unmoving.

Pin felt his heart beat in his chest and he didn't know what he wanted to do, hold her, or leave her, and he hated his own personal confusion. He struggled for months with his feelings for Zoe, but now those were muddled. How did this girl affect him so? Especially since they'd hardly spoken... 

He supposed though, that some people just knew they were meant to be; a feeling, different from the rest.

Was he misinterpreting something? Was fate giving him signs that he was ignoring or misreading altogether?