Twenty-Three.

***AARON'S POINT OF VIEW.***

"I-I don't understand!" I plead, sliding the papers back forward.

The lady at the front desk smacks her large red lips at me, and in a failed attempt to act nice, she shrugs her shoulders. "I don't know what to tell you, sir." she leans forward, pushing the letter back through the slot in the glass. 

I drop my luggage and clench my fists to keep from getting too upset. "Look." I say firmly, "I got this letter in the mail after applying about a year before. This clearly states that I had to be in New York today for training. How come all of a sudden, I'm not allowed to train?!"

Little Miss Rude rolls her eyes and turns back to her computer. "It says here, on your background check, that you have a criminal history!" she looks back at me.

"That's bull-" I bite my tongue. Cussing and yelling will only make this worse. Instead, I shut my eyes and pull myself together. "In my court case, they proved me innocent. And that was two years ago." 

She shakes her head. "It's not my problem that you. . ." she glances back at her screen, "kidnapped someone and got away with a fine of 1,000 bucks. Just doin' my job, son."

My instincts cause me to look around the room. I'm already nervous enough that I won't be able to wriggle my way out of this ridiculous situation, and the fact that people are looking at me strangely isn't making this problem any smaller.

"Hello? Kid, there's a line. Why-why don't you have a seat and I'll have someone come out to help you work this all out." she orders with a disgusted tone of voice.

Before I can talk back, my phone starts to ring. The only reason I pick it up is because it's Zeke's ringtone. . . He wouldn't be calling to just "check in." Something could be wrong.

I tug my luggage with me over to the waiting area in the train station and sit down, answering my annoying little phone. "What's up?" I answer.

Zeke is in distress, babbling about how him and Grace were at the amusment park and this strange guy asked for help and then Grace went into the mirror house and apparently didn't come out. And now there were police everywhere looking for her and that guy. After that, he asks if she'd called me recently.

After calming him down, and thinking over the conflict, I shake my head. "No," my voice almost cracks. I'm nervous now; sweating. Grace could be in trouble, and I'm in damn New York with a stupid Military mix-up.

"Gosh," Zeke exhales irritatingly and then pauses.

I try to think of what to say next, and then see a man coming out of an office with my papers. He's walking towards me, so I quickly explain the situation to Zeke instead of abruptly ending the call with no reason.

"Um, so, listen. I don't think I'm gonna get another chance to say this anytime soon, so. . .I tried to check into the camp with the letter but the lady refused. She said there's been a mistake and since I have a 'criminal history' that means I can't be in the military."

He scoffs, shocked. "That's rubbish! You were proven innocent!" 

I agree with a head nod and a muttered 'yes.' before Zeke cuts me off.

"Hey man, I gotta go. I'm sorry. I hope it all works out. Give me a call when you can." he says.

I say "Alright, you too." but by then, Zeke has already hung up. 

I can't imagine what he's feeling, and I'll probably feel the same thing in a few moments, as well. I'm just having my thoughts occupied by the man sitting down beside me. He's awfully chubby but has a straight business face planted on himself. I try not to raise my voice or get frustrated at all, and attempt to shake his hand. He ignores it completely and just starts flipping through some papers on a clipboard.

"So, I don't mean to cause trouble, but I was given an acceptance letter and now the lady won't let me onto the bus." I explain, talking about the bus that will soon take us to boot camp. 

As I'm talking, though, I start to think about Grace. More and more with every word. Her poor face asking for help. He soft arms tied up. Her protective, loving brother begging for her safety. And then me. Sitting here, doing absolutely nothing.

I hadn't realized the guy was talking until he asks me a question. "Do you?" I have no idea what he means. 

I'm striving to come up with a good answer or excuse, but my mind is drawing a blank. All I can think of is my so called "criminal history" and how stupid and foolish I was. Grace didn't deserve that crap. And nothing has changed.

"I- I'm sorry." I mutter, standing up. My eyes are planted firmly on the Exit sign as I gather my luggage as quickly as I can. "I have to go. Just-just forget about the whole thing." I can't beleive I'm doing something like this, and my hands are sweaty and shaking. But I push on, determined to help. To help Grace.

The chubby man is astonished that I would just walk away from him, but I gotta say: I'm pretty proud of myself. 

While walking out the door, I check the board that tells when the next train leaves. And lucky me, it's scheduled to come in five minutes.

I'm full of fear yet perseverance is pulsing through me as I buy the next ticket back home. Back to my home. Back to be the hero for Grace.

(A/N: Ahh, jeez. Sorry about that. I don't really know what happened to "updating soon." IM SORRY!) ~writingslayer >.<