Prologue

Today is the twenty-forth of the third month of the planet's rotation. The earth was soft and warm and the breeze that passes by was a blessing. My gun slung over my shoulder as I scout the irriadiated plains of the Northwest. Nothing, as usual. Only signs of movement is the dust being blown away, its almost reaching dawn. I need to head home before dark, the other races patrol the same areas as I do. I don't want to draw any attention on me so I immediately cut my patrol route and head home. Its about an hour or two walk back to my place, normally I would complain to myself for setting this route up in the first place but I need the exercise. With so much activity around I had limited time to be outside, and I don't like to be held in one place for so long. Thirty minutes passed and I caught a glimpse of something on the horizon. Four figures standing around two other figures, I looked through my scope to see Zelots surrounding a human couple. Mid twenties, both of them. I charged my rifle and took aim, I exhaled my lungs and put my crosshairs over the Zelots' leader and fired. The shot rang out as the beam pierced through the air and the Zelot's skull, the others looked at my direction but it was too late. I fired three more times and the aliens dropped dead, the two humans stood up. I can see them smiling when they faced me but it quickly was replaced with fear. They both ran away from me, I should have expected it, but I think they thanked me on the inside. I went over to the corpses and scavenged them for supplies, I took one of their rifles and emptied the ammo on the rest. I felt another breeze come in and I looked up at the dark clouds at the horizon, a big storm is approaching. I continued my march back.

It was around ten thirty when I made it home. The storm hit early, and I was drenched when I made it in. Started a medium fire by the old fireplace and cooked up a badger I caught when I was patrolling. When it was ready I dug in, stuffing large portions of the badger into my stomach. Then I knew something was wrong, I felt someone watching me. I turned to see a revolver pointed at my face.

"Don't move Zeno."