23

Evan's POV:

Despite appearing quite eager in the window, I've been at the Brewer home for about half an hour now, and still no sign of the beautiful teen.

The kids are jumping and splashing in the pool, and Amy is laid out on the chair beside me, tanning. I like Amy, she's a very sweet woman and easy to talk to, but it blows my mind that she and Lexi are related.

"Do you want a drink?" A familiar voice asks from behind both mine and Amy's lounge chairs. "Alcoholic or non are both options." She grins as I glance back at her through my sunglasses.

"I'll take one of those spiked sparkling waters." Amy says, nodding towards her daughter who stuns in a yellow two-piece. "How about you, Evan?"

I nod my head and flash the edge of a smile at Lexi as she walks back into the house.

She returns with drinks and hands them over, my kids spotting her and immediately getting excited. She's begged to get into the water and eventually gives in, giving me quite the view from my chair.

I watch her play with the kids, splashing and dunking them to keep them in line. I grin at the sight and sip my drink, just enjoying the time.

"Lexi is great with kids. She always has been." Amy comments, telling me that I've been caught staring at her daughter. "Sometimes I kick myself for not giving Lexi a younger sibling."

"Well, she is always welcome to come over. We have plenty of energy between the three of mine to share." I say and Amy laughs a bit.

"Must be exhausting having twins. I don't know how you do it, Evan. Especially with Scott being away so often." Amy says.

"It's... tough. Comes with its own set of challenges." I say, unintentionally glancing down. My thumb instantly rubs my empty ring finger. "Figuring it out as I go though." I say, hoping Amy didn't notice.

I don't want to advertise the fact that my seemingly-perfect marriage is falling apart. Not only is it embarrassing for me since I was so sure that this is what I wanted in life, but I do not need to give Amy even the slightest suspicion as to why Lexi spends so much time with me.

As I sit and overthink, a shower of cold water drops fall across my thighs. I inhale sharply and look up, seeing Lexi grinning at me from the water.

"Whoops, didn't mean to get you wet." She says, using her arms to push herself out of the water.

I hide my grin as best I can and she makes her way over to the daybed (that she and I are both familiar with) and lays out on her stomach, tanning her back.

"I'm going to get started on lunch!" Amy chirps, getting up from her chair and sliding on a cover-up. "Make yourself comfortable."

I nod and keep my spot, watching Amy walk inside to cook and keeping an eye on Lexi from a distance. I close my eyes and drift off, trying to just relax, but it's cut short when I'm given a very damp hug by my son.

"Mommy?" He whines.

"Yes?" I mutter, chilled from the cool water on my skin.

"Play with me, please!" He pleads, giving me a frown.

I think about it for a second, but agree and pry myself out of the chair to join him in the pool.

"Lexi, you coming?" I ask, wading into the water.

She grins and runs to the edge, doing a front-flip into the water and splashing me.

I gasp and grab my chest, freezing cold and not at all prepared for that splash. "I- oooh." I growl.