Secrets are No Fun

{ DWMA steps }

" What was all that about?" Soul asked as he turned toward BlackStar. Liz and Patty tracking them down only to run off? It didn't make a shit bit of sense to either of them.

" No idea." The assassin yawned. " Maybe they're going to check on Kid?"

" You think he's really sick?" Soul wondered. He'd been thinking about it all morning, since it was so unlike him. He'd missed having Kid there during lunch, since they usually made crude trades for different foods, and he loved teasing the reaper about how neat his lunchbox was.

" What do you mean?"

" Well, he seemed fine yesterday..." Soul was puzzled.

" Why are you worrying? It's Kid, he's fine." BlackStar was confused that Soul would even care. It didn't seem like they were that close, maybe acquaintances? But then again... BlackStar didn't know how many times Soul checked Kid's Instagram every day.

" You're right. Forget I said anything." The white haired boy was quick to change the subject and he shied away from his friend's eye contact.

" You're being weird about this." BlackStar said, suspicions mounting.

" How do you mean?"

" About Kid. You're being weird." BlackStar's eyebrows furrowed and he huffed. His arms folded as he scooted closer to inspect his best friend's face, scrutinizing it.

" Pfff you're funny." Soul said, ungracefully fumbling his words. He broke into a nervous sweat. " No I'm not."

" Hey, Soul?"

" What?"

" What do you think of Kid?" BlackStar asked.

" What do I think of Kid?" Soul repeated as though asking what the assassin meant. It was a weird question to think about, and the weapon wasn't sure why his face was heating up. His throat went dry and he swallowed thickly.

" Yeah like... tell me your opinion of him."

" Who's being weird again?" Soul laughed in an off kilter tone. " I... um, I don't know, he's great. The stripes in his hair are cool. I like the way he talks, always making me feel even dumber. I really like his eyes, they remind me of the sun. And his lips, I... I..." He trailed off.

" Anything else?" BlackStar remarked sarcastically.

" I uh..." Soul had made himself uncomfortable. BlackStar smiled.

" Well I'm gonna go..." He started walking back up the stairs. " If you wanna call your little man crush I won't stop you!" He teased back and waved.

" S-" Soul paused, breath hitching as his eyes widened in realization. " SH-SHUT UP!"

BlackStar took out his phone once he reached the top of the steps, knowing that he had to do something. He loved Soul like a brother, and this might've been the only way to help solve things. He started a text to Liz.

BlackStar 1:34 PM: liz we need to talk

Liz 1:37 PM: What is it?

BlackStar 1:37 PM: promise you won't say anything

Liz 1:39 PM: Okay...

BlackStar 1:40 PM: i think soul has feelings for kid... i might be wrong but that's what it seemed like. i dont wanna out him or anything but if he does... he could let maka down without hurting her feelings as much

Liz 1:42 PM: Don't worry I won't say anything!

BlackStar 1:44 PM: if we could get them together it would give soul an excuse not to go with maka