The Arrival

CHRISTINA POV cont.

I didn't have too big of a carry on bag. But that was merely because I had my things shipped to London for me as I do my traveling. It always goes this way. I don't have many possessions since I move around so much. I just can't seem to plant myself in a single place. I'm like the little flower pot sitting on the table you move to the counter then to the window and maybe that empty space by the bananas.
It just seems like I can't keep myself in a single place forever. After a while it gets boring.

I grab a taxi and a little while later end up in front of the building where I will be staying.

I walk up four flights of stairs and then back down again because I forgot to see the landlady  to get my key. Things like that just happen, especially when you're passing through jet lag.

I knock on the landlady's door. It takes a minute but I tend to be impatient when all I'm thinking about is laying down to instantly fall asleep. I knock again as a man opens the door. He looks to be in his forties and shirtless with a piercing on his right peck. Just what I want to see at 8pm on a Sunday. He looks at me for a minute and seems to be moody. Give this man some caffeine or an ice cream or something. He needs to lighten up. "Gina! Someone's tapping on the door!" The man says. He then sits down and continues eating his pudding. Then a lady who looks to be in her thirties comes from the kitchen in her hand sewed apron and oven mits. "Hello dear! Come. Please sit. Pardon Joshua. He got mad because his PlayStation never came in." As we sit, she offers me tea, which of course I can't refuse. Then she whispers "that there is what happens when your mother in law spoils your husband rotten. Can't seem to be happy with what he's got. Might as well be done with him but it's too much of a hassle. And Mr. Hemmington says he would gladly help me divorce him but crumpled crumpets what good would it do?! Just another paper to sign and another worry. Might as well with it and the extremely large telly bill."
She hands me the cup of tea with and pours herself a cup as well. "So dear. Tell me about you."
"I grew up in Oklahoma in the United States. Then I went to Westminster College. I graduated and had a good job. But I stopped because I have a bigger purpose in life." I told her a lot more and she seemed to be interested in everything. She was especially fond of the Spring fling in Switzerland and asked me to tell her all about that, but I nicely declined since it was too much of a long story. "So are you going to go back to marry him in the future?"
"Well.... " I shrugged. "My heart and mind isn't very good with making decisions. I can't even decide quickly when it comes to menus at restaurants so I always ask what the waiters favorite dish is."
"It's good to go along and explore or experiment with different things. You are probably one that will try anything. Am I right?"
I nod. "Unless it's mushrooms."
"Is it an allergy?"
"Nope! I just don't like them."
She laughs as she puts the key on the table. "This is for your apartment." I pick them up and smile at her. "Thank you."
"Please don't go yet. I would like you to tell me what you fancy in a man."
I look at her with disbelief. Why does she want to know want to know what physical and mental features of a man I like? It's not like Im trying to find a boyfriend or anything. I really just want to sleep. "I could tell you another day Mrs. Gregory. I am extremely exhausted and jet lagged. Sleep calls my name."
I grab the key and my bag to head out. "Alright dear. Another day then. Good night!"
"Good night!" I respond as I walk to the door to finally leave. I walk up to the fifth floor. And open the door to my apartment. It smells new, looks new, and feels new. It's clean and the windows let in enough light for photosynthesis to kick in. My boxes are already set out in the living area and those can wait till later.
I asked Mrs. Gregory to unbox the mattress once it arrived and I am so glad that she did. I moved it to face the bedroom window I opened for some fresh English air and plopped down on the bed to sleep.

————-
Oh the irony!!! —- "it's not like I'm trying to find a boyfriend or anything."

———
Up next: Too Busy