Chapter Seven

Chapter 7 - Gebo

Carol rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, ran her hands through her thick, curly silver mane and stretched with a squeal of delight. She loved mornings and she loved waking up to her cat purring at the end of the bed. From the corner of her eye, she glimpsed her dragon gardian, Tristan. He lay curled up on her dresser, seemingly asleep but he lifted one eyelid and winked at Carol when she beamed a telepathic 'Good morning' his way.

She had cleared her schedule for the day. There were to be no abbey tours or Tarot readings today. She knew something important would be going down but she wasn't sure exactly what yet. The week before, she had done her annual birthday Tarot reading, pulling the 3 of Cups as the outside influence and Tristan had whispered:

'Three young ladies need your help - The great dragon must be invoked.'

She knew better than to question her guardian and best friend, so she waited patiently for another sign. The night before he had asked her to clear her schedule, so she did. 

She looked out the window and thought 'Breakfast in the garden, perfect!' but she had barely completed the sentence in her mind before she felt Tristan on her shoulder and he nudged her toward her little office, which was really nothing more than a corner of her living room in her cramped but charming little cottage.

'Alright,' she laughed, 'Emails first!'

She opened her inbox and her eyes were immediately drawn to a message with the subject title 'We need your help!'

Dear Carol,

This may be a bit hard to swallow but I found your email address online thanks to Spirit asking me to search for Carol, owner of 'Abbey Dragons.' I was told we would need your assistance for the perfect spot to invoke Jormungandr.

We obviously wouldn't expect you to help for free. We are more than happy to pay for your flight ticket and I have asked my mother if you could stay with us in Stockholm. She is totally fine with that and we do have an ensuite guest bedroom, so you could have all the privacy you want and need.

Unless we locate a certain dragon line (you're the expert!) and invoke the great serpent, the world will be engulfed in smoke and flame, apparently. I know this all sounds a bit... erm... much. Will you come?

The invokation is due to take place on Mabon but we should probably liaise before then, so the sooner we can get together the better. I don't trust ether communication!

Blessings,

Sigrun Ekström

'OK, Tristan, I see what you mean! But I do need to go make myself a cuppa before I reply.'

Carol sat down in front of her antique oak desk with a freshly brewed cup of Yorkshire tea (milk, no sugar) and started typing out the reply. She smugly thought how great it was that she had picked up touch typing skills at school. 'Who knew they would come in so handy!'

Dear Sigrun,

You'll be happy to know that my own dragon guardian had already forewarned me about this event and that I am more than happy to participate. Since you and your mother are graciously offering to put me up, I'll pay for the flight ticket myself - I would consider it an honour to be invited into your home as well as a 'mini holiday' even though we clearly have work to do. But here in the UK we say a change is as good as a rest and that is one of my favourite sayings - I have always considered my line of work more fun than just about anything I can think of!

I will book a flight for this weekend unless you have no objections and I shall look forward to saving the world together!

Blessed Be!

Carol Metcalfe

'Right then, Tristan, now do you mind if go out into the garden for a while before I start packing and making my travel arrangements?'