eight

Today was the day. The day that Charlotte would participate in the dangerous side of family business. As much as she was excited to be able to see Peaky Blinder business, there was still a pang of fear that rested inside her heart. She knew her brothers would die before they let anything bad happen to her, but Billy Kimber, who she met the night before made her very uncomfortable.

Charlotte walked down the stairs into the kitchen where Arthur sat, still in his pyjamas. "Lazy day for you?" she teased.

"Polly's makin' me rest this morning. No work," Arthur grumbled, clearly upset that Polly had put her foot down on this issue.

"So you're not going to see Billy Kimber?"

Arthur raised an eyebrow at his little sister. "How do you know about business with Billy Kimber?"

"Um-"

"Charlotte," Arthur spoke sternly. "You're not coming." He could somehow read her mind.

"But I am, Arthur, I need to!" Charlotte protested. She needed to be included on this business. She had personal interactions with Kimber and she wanted to see the business with him taken care of. But now, both John and Arthur were against her going which would definitely make convincing Tommy more difficult.

"Lottie, you're not going. Kimberis way too dangerous." Arthur sipped some tea before standing up from the kitchen table. "You're staying here with Polly."

"I know he's dangerous, Arthur, I've met him," Charlotte retorted. Right as she spoke, she realized that that comeback might not have been the best idea.

"You've what?" Arthur growled, slamming his hands down on the table.

"The other day at the hospital, I-"

"Did he fucking hurt you? I swear to God-"

"I'm fine, Arthur! He just was threatening me to get to Tommy and said he wants me brought to the meeting today, so you see, I absolutely have to go!"

"That doesn't mean you're coming, Charlotte. In fact, that probably means you have less of a chance of coming now." Arthur dumped the rest of the tea in the sink.

"She's coming," a voice said from the front door. Tommy closed the door behind him, removing his peaky hat. "I want her there."

Charlotte didn't bother asking questions, she just hugged Tommy around his waist and whispered a soft "thank you" before running up the stairs back into her room before he could change his mind.

---

Later that day, Tommy walked down the alley with his brothers, some of the Blinders, and his little sister behind him.

Charlotte was more scared than she'd like to admit. This was her first part of Blinders business and it was a fight with guns? John carried a huge rifle and nudged Charlotte as they walked.

"I'll protect ya, eh? No one will touch you with this baby," he spoke, gesturing to the huge gun he was carrying. Charlotte barely cracked a smile. John lifted her chin so that she was looking at him. "Hey, go to the back with Johnny Dogs. I don't want you in the front."

Even though she was terrified, she began to protest but was interrupted by Tommy who must have been listening to their conversation.

"John's right. Go to the farthest back, Charlotte."

Charlotte groaned as she trudged to the back of the pack. She should've felt safer there, but the truth is that she felt safest next to her brothers, who she knew would do absolutely anything to protect her.