Chapter 2

Chapter 2

                                                                - James -

“Ah, Mr. McAllister, late as usual. I see nothing’s changed since the last time you took my class.”

Pulling the door closed behind him, James glanced up at his former – and now current – chemistry teacher and smiled. Old Susie Jenkins may have acted like a hardass, but James knew firsthand that -- when she wasn’t putting up a good front for the sake of the Park Crest Board of Directors -- she was actually more of a pushover than a true disciplinarian.

Indeed, for all of the times she’d threatened James with detention last fall, she’d only ever followed through once. And, even then, she’d let him out early once he’d explained that he needed to be over at Riverside Prep by 4 PM because he’d promised his girlfriend he’d be at her tennis match.

Jenkins may have been strict, and surly, and way too self-important for a high school science teacher, but like any other middle-aged spinster with unrealistic romantic expectations she was an absolute sucker for a storybook romance and she’d eaten up James’s story like a warm apple pie.

In truth, he’d only been going to soccer practice. But Jenkins had no way of knowing that and Brynn did have a tennis match, though James hadn’t actually promised to meet her until after.

In the end, however, everything had worked out for the best. Jenkins had gotten her detention, which made her look tough on tardiness in the eyes of the Board, soccer practice had gone on as on as scheduled, Coach Erikson had remained none the wiser regarding James’s ongoing lack of punctuality, and James had ultimately made it to Riverside in time to see Brynn win her last set.

So, really, he hadn’t been lying. At least, that’s what he told himself now...

“I’m sorry, Ma’am,” James said apologetically. “But my schedule listed room CL3 by mistake.”

Upon hearing James’s explanation, Jenkins clucked her tongue in annoyance and briefly shook her head. “While I highly doubt that, Mr. McAllister, why don’t you take a seat next to Miss Sullivan so we can begin. I’m sure you two will get along famously, as neither of you seem to understand the importance of arriving on time.”

James glanced casually around the room in search of the aforementioned “Miss Sullivan,” but immediately halted when his eyes locked firmly on Brynn, who seemed to be glaring daggers at him from her seat at a half-empty two-person lab table on the opposite side of the aisle.

James grinned. This was simply too perfect an opportunity to pass up. If he wanted to win back Brynn’s trust, he was going to have to get her to speak to him first. And if this morning’s little entranceway run-in was any indication, that might be slightly more complicated than he had originally envisioned.

But if they were lab partners… Well, then she’d have to speak to him. Maybe just about science… But it was a start. And, at this point, he’d take anything he could get.

“If it’s all the same to you, Ms. Jenkins, I think I’d prefer to work with Miss Harrington. She looks a bit lonely on the end there and—“

“Enough games, Mr. McAllister. Miss Sullivan will be your lab partner. Now please sit down and stop interrupting my class.”

“Right,” James said casually. “If you could just point out Miss Sullivan... I’m not sure we’ve been introduced.”

Clearly exasperated, Jenkins rolled her eyes at James and then looked over towards the window. “Brynn, raise your hand please.”