Chapter 3

It's told that years ago monsters were created.

That they took over the world, killing without care, and taking land they didn't own. It's hard to see the difference between the monsters and white men.

It was named the apocalypse. We had expected zombies, not men and women who looked like angels. Very few survived. From the few, came a new city. They told me that the city is safe and not to be alarmed, but those monsters are our leaders.

And for some reason, I was calm. I didn't care that these murderers were the ones who I bowed down to. I was happy to just have someone around, no matter who or what.

They didn't tell me much more. Just the main laws. Which weren't much. 

I must not murder.

I must not steal.

My name belongs to those that I serve.

And I must never speak out of turn.

I had to repeat that many times. Amari tended to just pop in my room at any given time, I soon learned that he always wanted the same thing.

I must not murder. I must not steal. My name belongs to those I serve. And I must never speak out of turn.

He told me they made it rhythmic so little ones wouldn't forget. Amari would tell me a lot of things. Most never made sense. 

"Rain, you can't dance here. Rain, you're too hyper, I don't want you to get caught. Rain. that's enough talking, too much talking and your tongue is cut off."

And on he went. Everything I did was wrong. 

A woman must know her place.

Well, I'll tell you one thing, my place was not in the presence of closed minded assholes.

It's like WW III never happened. We had fought for all equal rights and for nothing. For some creature coming in and starting over again. Well, I refuse. The nerve they have telling me what's right and what's wrong when it's not wrong at all. I'm not doing anything. Nothing I've done has affected anyone and yet I'm being punished. How dare-

"Rain." 

I snap my head up to see a very impatient Amari waiting for me to answer a question. We're sitting in my room. I'm on my bed and he's standing in front of me.

The room's very nice, a full size bed, a beautiful dresser and matching desk, a bedside table, and behind a door is a closet that they've filled with clothing with another door leading into a personal bathroom. You'll never believe the amount of showers I've had in the past four days, they're like heaven, and I was given this bar that smelt of-

"I've had enough of you dazing off and planning the first revolution of this generation, I've heard enough. Now pay attention and forget that impossible idea or you'll be the first execution of this generation."

"So sorry, Master. Which string are you pulling today?" I said with an eye roll.

Ignoring my comment he continues, "Now, if you want to survive you must understand the city.

"It was created after our apocalypse, run by the first stvor, Amelia." He says it almost robotically, like he had to memorize it. "She had great ideas about the new world. She believes that once only the best are left, we can truly have peace and equity. Right now-"

"Oh right, peace and equity. So far the entire time I've been here all I've heard is that I'm lesser, that me being alive is wrong. Just because I'm a girl. Or better yet just because I'm human. How in God's name is that-"

"We're trying to just rebuild the city," and again he continues as though my input means nothing. "Nothing can be accomplished with mud and sticks."

"I don't understand why we wouldn't just start off with the equality. It's the perfect time. New world, new laws. But instead we're starting off like it's the 1800's," by now I'm standing and waving my arms, hoping to make some type of point, "and then it'll take another 250 years to even come close to some type of peace-"

"Stop. That's enough." He slams his hands on the table, "I'm fully aware of how shitty this is. I'm tried of you're fucking complaints, I hear them in my own head to last me 5 life times. But if you keep talking like that you'll be killed. This isn't America anymore, there is no freedom of speech, the Stvor are our leaders and they'll kill anyone who they don't like and if you're as smart as you think you are, you'll sit down, put a smile on, and stop fucking talking."

"Why do you even care if I get killed? You don't even talk to me unless it's to educate me about this government, which I already know everything and know it's just you repeating it."

We're pressed together now, I don't remember moving, but I'm definitely not now.

"If I didn't care, I wouldn't be telling you one thing. I'd let you talk about the unfairness, let Amelia think you're planning a revolution, and then turn my back as your head's being thrown one way and your body the other. I'm only repeating because, even though you know everything about the government, you don't understand it. I know you don't because if you did, you would never be this close to me."

God his eyes are beautiful.

I know he's talking to me. I know I had a question.

God help me.

All I can feel is his body heat touching every area of my body. His hand on my wrist tightening the tiniest bit because he's trying to make a point. 

It's weird.

I've never been touched before. I've never been this close to a person ever.

And yet he said something about me being close. That we shouldn't be this close.

"What do you mean?"

"I thought you already knew everything about this government."

"I guess I was mistaken."

I can't move.

I can't breathe.

I never thought everyone could ever have an effect on me. I mean sure, I knew it'd be wonderful to be held for once, but I always scoffed at the romances where she goes weak in the knees.

But right now, I'm a damn puddle on the floor.

He's pinned me to the wall, running his hand where'ever he pleases.

God.

"The council picks who can be with who." He leans back. "They draw the names and puts them together like it's a game." His hands stop moving. "You're not even allowed to think of another person romantically without fear of them using it against you." He takes a step back. "Rain, don't ever grow attachments. Every person you want will be taken from you, just because the council can."

With that he walks out of my room, leaving me breathless.