Kenric and Soren

Phoenyx and Ezekiel let go of Blaise and jumped to their feet, prepared to defend themselves against the man on the rooftop across from them. However, they lowered their guard when they recognized the glowing green eyes behind his mask, and the mess of red hair on his head.

"Answer me," Kenric said in a low voice. It was more akin to a growl than a demand, and his knuckles cracked as he clenched his fists. In one swift motion, he leapt the distance between them, landing in front of them with a surprisingly soft thud.

Blaise inhaled a sharp breath, and a wave of pain went through his chest. He had never seen Kenric so angry.

He's in control. Calm down.

"We were just... exploring," Ezekiel lied, averting his gaze.

"Do I look like a fool?" he asked, his eyes darting back and forth between the three companions. "I specifically ordered you to stay in Draconia, and where do I find you? What did you think you were going to accomplish here?"

"Nothin'," Blaise answered, looking straight into Kenric's fierce eyes. He was afraid, but he knew he would be the only one who could try to lie to him—Kenric couldn't read his mind. Even if he tried, Zane would block him out. "We were just... tryin' to find someone."

Phoenyx cried out as Kenric grabbed Blaise roughly by the arm and hauled him to his feet. It was a side of Kenric they had never seen, and Blaise wished they hadn't been the ones to bring it out of him. Pain flooded his body as his heart pounded out of control.

"When you all joined the recruits, what did I tell you?"

"That hurts," Blaise said, trying to pry Kenric's hand off of him. "Stop!"

"What did I tell you? The Occultus Draconem is trying to fix the two kingdoms. You are not going to use it as a means to exact revenge or commit senseless acts of violence! We're trying to bring peace to Cadmus and Draconia, not start another war before the first one has even ended!"

"A'right, Ken. I think ya scared 'em enough, don't you."

Kenric released Blaise, and he fell back against Phoenyx. She wrapped her arms around him protectively as he lowered to his knees.

"You took your sweet time," Kenric said, turning around to face Theron with his arms crossed. His voice was back to the calm, cool tone that everyone was used to.

"Ah, ya don't gimme enough credit, man." Theron was perched on top of a high chimney, dressed in full Occultus Draconem gear, weapons and all. His glowing blue eyes illuminated the gold accents on his metal mask. "Ya think I was home all night gettin' wasted? I been trailin' 'em for hours."

"So, it was all an act?" Ezekiel glared at Kenric. "That wasn't funny!"

"Don't be such a baby, kid," Theron said, launching himself off the chimney. He landed next to Kenric, just a softly as his partner had. It was amazing, how light they both were on their feet, barely making a sound. "Yer lucky he ain't as angry as he was actin'. If it was me, I woulda knocked some sense into ya."

"You knew we were going to come here," Phoenyx questioned, "even after you told us not to?"

"Kid, just 'cause I talk funny don't mean my brain don't work."

"Hey," Kenric said, turning his attention to Blaise. He knelt down in front of him, his brow furrowed in concern. "Are you all right?"

Blaise didn't answer—he couldn't answer. Pain overwhelmed him, his heart beating wildly in his chest, and he doubled over. His breathing was labored and raspy, his whole body responding negatively to the way Kenric had grabbed hold of him.