Chapter 3

A.N: Omg an update 😂 I'm so sorry guys. I want to get back into writing. There will be more frequent updates in the future :)

I snatch up the phone and glance at the screen.

Lauren: Have you left yet? Not long before he'll wake up.

Of course, Connor had planned to leave with me tonight, back to Colorado. I hope Colby is okay. I feel so horribly guilty that I involved him. They must've knocked him out somehow before Connor fled out here with me. Lauren's job was to make sure he wouldn't follow.

I go to unlock the phone, entering the passcode I'd known while I was in a relationship with Connor.

7 3 8 3

Yes. I'm in.

I type out a realistic reply and send it on Connor's behalf.

Connor: Yes, we are too far for him to catch up.

Lauren replies within the next minute.

Lauren: Great. I'll leave him to it.

Relieved, I drop the phone into the cup holder and focus on the road. The drive seemed to take forever. I became more and more nervous as I thought about what Lauren had done to Colby. I wanted get there as fast as I could, without exceeding the speed limit - I was driving a stolen vehicle after all and didn't want to test the law.

I parked the car a few blocks away when I neared my apartment building. There was a napkin in the backseat, so I gave the steering wheel, Connor's phone and the door handles a rub with it in hopes to remove my fingerprints. I didn't want to leave a trace. Finally, I retrieved my apartment key.

My legs carried me at a full sprint down the street. I was so close. I unlocked the entrance hastily, and slowed to a walk here so that I didn't look suspicious. The elevator felt like it took forever. I had so many thoughts racing through my mind. I really hoped that Colby was okay. I sprinted down the hall to my apartment and let myself in.

"Colby?!" I called.

No response.

I looked in every room. No Colby.

I panicked. Where is he?

I stopped moving and thought for a bit.

Lauren's apartment perhaps.

I exited my place and ran down the hall. Of course, her door was locked, so I knocked loudly.

"Colby?" I called, "are you in there?"

No reply.

I hit the door with my palm. "Please Colby!" I hoped he was in there. Where else could he possibly be??

Tears threatened to spill from my tired eyes. I slumped and slid my back down the door in defeat. I didn't know what to do.