Chapter Three: The Encounter

Amara watched in the crystal in front of her face. There, in the hands on a fourteen year old boy was the book she needed to find her mother. She could just take it now, but there was one problem. The boy holding it wished the goblins would take him away, but nobody else heard him, which was rather unusual. She started pacing and muttering to herself. "I've never done this before. It was always Papa doing it. So, how would I do it?" She conjured up another crystal and changed her appearance to a dark blue corset, black tights and black knee high boots. And to compliment the look, she had a black and blue cape. At first glance, she almost looked like her father. "Okay, I got the looks down." She looks around her room and conjured up a crystal and when she tosses it in the air, it bursts sending a spell around the room. "Now, no one will know where I've gone." Amara transformed into her snowy owl form and flies out of her window.

Toby was tossing and turning in his bed, clutching the book close to him and mumbled in his sleep. His window creaked open as a snowy owl perched on the windowsill and transformed into Amara. She took a pose to scare anyone, but nobody was around, and she saw the boy asleep in his bed. "Well, it was worth a shot." She turned her gaze to the book clutched in his hands and carefully tried to sneak it out. Toby only turned in his bed, his back facing Amara. Amara grumbled in annoyance and tried to snatch the book, but before she could even place her fingertips to the cover, a knock came at the door. Thinking quickly, Amara turned back into her owl form and rushed to the tree branch outside the boy's window. "Toby, you're going to be late for school!" Toby immediately shoot up and rubbed the sand from his eyes. "Toby, are you awake?" Toby stretched like a cat and heard a few pops in his back. "Yeah, Mom. I'm up. I'm coming." He immediately places the red book in his backpack and placed it on his back. Amara squints her beady owl eyes at Toby as he rushed to put his shoes on and dart out of the bedroom. "Damn! Now I have to wait until he gets back!" Amara  flew off to follow Toby to his school.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jareth was waking in the Esther room, looking for Amara. He was stopped in his tracked by Sir Didymus. "Good morning, my liege. I trust everything is well?" Jareth places his finger on his chin and looked at Sir Didymus. "You haven't seen Amara, have you?" The fox shook his head. "I'm afraid not, sire. I don't think she left her chambers this morning. Perhaps she's flying around the Labyrinth?" Jareth moved his hand to his hips and tapped his foot gently. "I hope she's not still having those headaches." "My liege, is the fair maiden unwell?" Jareth looked at the fox again. "Well, we had a argument, I assumed she was crying, and..." He places his hand back on his chin. "Hmm. Perhaps I should send an attendant for her. Make sure she's okay." Sir Didymus bowed lightly at Jareth. "I shall send word immediately, sire." Jareth nodded and shooed him away. "Yes, yes. Fine." As Sir Didymus left the room, Jareth looked out the window, placing his hand to his chin and lips. He transformed into his barn owl self and flew around the castle grounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amara flew to the tree outside Toby's window, and perched herself on the branch. "He's been there for hours. How many hours do humans waist their time on such boring knowledge?" She ruffled her wings and watched the room, waiting for Toby to get back. "I hope that spell didn't wear off. Papa's going to be steaming mad if he finds out. I'll be grounded for years." She suddenly jerked her head up when she heard the doorknob rattle and Toby entered the room. He shut the door, placed his backpack down, and took the red book out. "Can't let Mom find this." Toby grabbed the box it was in before and placed the book inside, before placing it back in his closet. "Glad she's never here at night. I get all the free time to myself." Toby moved to a desk by his bed. "Also glad Sarah taught me to cook. Can't have pizza everyday." Toby rolled around his room in his chair moving from own place to another. Amara kept her beady eyes on him. "Toby, we're heading out." Toby answered with some paperwork in his mouth. "Okay, Mom. Love you." When he heard the front door close, and jumped from his chair. "Yes! Friday night, freedom!" Toby rushes out of the room and down to the living room. Amara perched herself onto his windowsill and punched the window open. Once she was inside, she transformed into her Fae self again, took a small whiff of the bedroom, and immediately covered her nose. "Ugh. It smells worse than the Bog of Eternal Stench." Amara always wondered what humans smelled like, let alone where they get their scents. Now she knows how the males smelled like. "Now, to find that book."