Chapter 6: Saturday

"I'm right aren't I Rory?...This is Logan Huntzburger's house! Are you seeing him again? I thought you two parted years ago!" Jess sounded shocked.

"What if it is Logan's house? Why would that be a problem?" Rory retorted not liking Jess' tone. "Of course I'm not seeing him....Logan is getting married in January...."

There was silence for a few seconds while Rory prepared some hot cocoa. She thought about how anti Logan her friend was but given their history, she couldn't really blame him.

Jess was pleased Rory wasn't in a relationship with Logan but couldn't understand why she would want anything to do with him.

"So what is it that you're not telling me Rory....Huntzburger must be back in your life in someway or you wouldn't be living in his house!" Jess probed.

It didn't take much for Rory to crack. She was extremely tired and didn't feel like playing games. "We were seeing each other the past couple of years but he has to marry someone else ....so it's over....he just wanted me to have somewhere to write...that's all..."

"If he was seeing you then why would he marry someone else ...did he get them pregnant?" Jess asked not giving up.

Rory's eyes filled with tears when Jess said the word pregnant. She quickly turned away hoping Jess would not detect her reaction but it was too late!

"Rory.........I'm sorry....I guess I'm right...that sucks....." Jess began.

Rory turned, her face was wet with tears. "No Jess....you're not right at all....I'm the one who's pregnant!"

Jess was silent. He was shocked and felt so bad for making Rory cry. Jess took Rory in his arms and held her.  As he did, the floodgates opened up! No one had hugged Rory since she found out she was pregnant and she had felt so alone. She cried and cried and cried, unable to stop! Jess stroked her hair and spoke calmly,"It will be okay Rory.....I'll be here to help you...."

All the while, Jess wanted to punch Logan Huntzburger but he kept his thoughts to himself.  When Rory stopped crying, she looked so terribly drained and Jess just wanted to look after her.

"Why don't we get you off to bed? You'll feel better in the morning," Jess promised.

He helped Rory upstairs to her room and said he would let himself out when she was settled but Rory pulled Jess toward her bed.

"Will you sleep here with me Jess? I just need someone to be close....just for tonight...." Rory pleaded, her blue eyes still glistening with tears.

Against his better judgement, Jess replied, "Of course..."

As they lay together, Rory's tears subsided and it wasn't long before she fell asleep. Jess had a hard time sleeping as he thought through the situation Rory was in.

"Who would get someone pregnant and then go ahead and marry someone else?" Jess wondered. "She's better off without him but she needs someone in her life she can rely on.....I would gladly be there even though it would be really weird being around his child....If only the father was anyone but Huntzburger!"

When Rory awoke the next morning, she was glad it was Saturday and she didn't need to go to work. She couldn't believe that she had told Jess so much or that she had insisted he stay —in her bed! In the light of day, Rory felt embarrassed about it all and vowed to pull herself together!

Jess was beginning to stir after finally managing to get a little sleep. He heard the shower and while Rory was in the en-suite, he decided to slip downstairs to make her some breakfast.  He didn't have a lot of time because he still had to drive to Portland but he wanted to make sure Rory was okay before he left.