Chapter 4

Evania was sitting on her couch, watching TV. Sylvia was out doing other council duties, so she was left to her own devices if only for a while. She knew the succubus would be back before she went to bed, because she had made it a priority to do so, as to not disturb her when she was sleeping. If she was going to be late she would send her a text message to let her know.

She was still shocked that the school gave students cell phones. She really wondered how much money her mother had gotten to be able to create such a perfect school, and give students state of the art technology so easily.

Her phone buzzed on the table, and she reached over and picked it up, finding a text from Janet.

I'm kidnapping Sylvia for an hour. I need her help with a project. Vanessa wanted to know if you wanted her to stop by for more vampire lessons. Janet asked.

She can come if she'd like. Good luck on your project. Evania answered, before setting her phone back on the table and going back to her show.

She can't remember when she fell asleep, but she woke when Vanessa knocked on the door. She sat upright with a jump, finding that her show had ended, and some police investigation show was now playing. She got up and headed for the door, letting the vampire into her dorm.

"Hey! Ready for some more practice?" The Irish vampire grinned, her metalic eye practically gleaming in excitement.

From what Evania understood, Vanessa had been poisoned with Quicksilver, otherwise known as Mercury. In humans it's a deadly toxin that binds with the blood stream. In vampires it's a drug that makes vampires lose control over themselves. At the same time her sister had been badly hurt, so she had to use a seal to control herself long enough to bite her sister and make her immortal. In doing so, it greatly weakened her vampiric nature, preventing her from effectively fighting off the Mercury which was able to bond slightly to her human blood. When the seal was removed, her vampiric nature tried to heal herself, and in turn spread the Mercury around her body. It effectively gave her an immunity to further Mercury poisonings, but left her permanently scarred from it.

The red head was still an incredibly nice person, and thought that it just made her look pretty cool.

Evania nodded, and stepped aside to allow Vanessa in. The two made their way over to the couch and sat with Vanessa smiling as Evania grabbed a book from her bag and handed it to Vanessa.

"You got me a book on American Sign Language?" Vanessa grinned. "Awe, you shouldn't have."

Evania shrugged, pulling out her note pad and pen so she could write if she needed to say something to the vampire. She always had her little pocket note pad on her, just in case she needed help from someone who couldn't understand ASL. But Vanessa was steadily teaching her how to send her thoughts out to people so she wouldn't need to.

"Alrighty then. Hit me with your thoughts." Vanessa motioned between them. "Just like we practiced."

Evania concentrated on the center of Vanessa's forehead, and imagined a pushing motion. Like she was pushing her way in and pushing words into her forehead.

What did you do in the council today?

Vanessa heard the words very quietly, but it was still obvious and hard to miss. She couldn't help but smile at how quickly Evania had picked it up, for never having learned this lesson before.

"We didn't do anything special. Sylvia and I tried to get Kai and Zali to play games with us, but those two are party poopers and they never do anything fun."

You and Sylvia torment them a lot?

"You've met Kai, she's really nice, but she's no fun. She's always serious and her humor is really dry and almost painful sometimes. Other than the occasional blind joke that comes out of no where." Vanessa rolled her eyes. "Just the other day, Sylvia and I were trying to come up with a design to put on the door to the Council room, when Kai just goes 'I think they all look pretty nice' without even missing a beat as she was reading her book. Sylvia and I thanked her before we even thought about how stupid it was."