Thirty One: The Sleeping Spell

Wren and Nassir were at the door to Mila's cabin when I arrived. I wasn't surprised, they probably sensed my alarm. 

"What is it, Wren?" Schula asked.

Puko chose that moment to fly from my shoulder to Nassir. I slowed to a stop in front of them, pushing the bits of loose hair from my face.

"There is something wrong. There is something in the valley, and it's gotten to two of the witches."

Nassir and Schula looked to each other, then opened the way to the cabin. Schula cleared her throat. "Do we need to go somewhere? This isn't a discussion to have out in the open."

"No, not tonight. Let's go inside," I agreed, and we locked ourselves in.

Schula pulled a pot of tea off the fire and Nassir took a seat at the table. Puko sat on the back of his chair, and I sat on the bed.

"What has happened to these witches?" Nassir asked calmly, accepting a cup of tea from Schula.

"The witches have been patrolling the edges of the valley since we told Mila about that thing we felt," I said. 

"Yes, they said as much after Mila sent you off to see Gilly that day," Schula said, sitting down on the bed next to me and handing me my own drink. She leaned against the headboard and laid her legs across my lap. I leaned back against the wall and took a drink of tea.

"Did you know that two of the patrolling witches have been put under some kind of magical sleep? " I asked.

"Caw!" 

Nassir looked surprised. "No, we did not."

"They were each found by another of the patrolling witches. Two different parts of the valley. I think... I think whatever we felt in that field is still here and I think that's what did something to them." I took another long drink. 

"There could be any number of things that crawled out of those caves," Nassir said. "I sensed some very unusual creatures, the likes of which I have not encountered before."

I frowned. "I'm glad I couldn't see them then."

"But I don't think that makes sense either," Schula said. "The things in the caves around here, these witches will have known about them for as long as they have had a community here. I think this is probably something else, and I'm worried that it followed us into the valley."

Neither me or Nassir had anything to say to that. The silent moment stretched out until Nassir broke it. "It's no good to speculate on it, what we should be focusing on is helping those witches. What can you tell us about their situation?"

"The sleep seems to be a magical one," I said. "Purda said you could try something called a mind walk."

"I've never heard of it," Schula said.

Nassir scratched at his chin. "I think they mean meditation. It's possible to reach out to them through the mind, if they are also in there trying to reach back. If they are asleep against their will, then their consciousness might still be in there trying to wake up."

"Oh, that makes sense," I said. "If the witches don't wake up in the morning, Jana is going to run here and fetch us."

"Then we shall be ready if they need us," Nassir said. "I would be happy to assist if I can. They have been gracious hosts and have kindly indulged my curious questions."

Schula took her legs off of my lap and turned to set her feet on the floor. "That's another thing that has been bothering me lately."

"The witches accommodating us?" Nassir asked.