Chapter 1

Niall POV

First day at a new school. This should be better than the last. When i came out at my last school, I became everyones target. The last school I went to nobody spoke to me, and if they did it wasn't exactly nice things, but this time I'm determined to be more outgoing.

The school is rather large and looks quite pleasant. I start to head up the steps when I hear a high-pitched, ear piercing scream. I flip around to see three boys kicking something, or should I say someone. There's a boy curled into a ball on the ground, he has crazy curly brown hair and is extremely skinny.

"Hey! Guys! Leave him alone! Can't you see you're hurting him!" I shout, sprinting over to where the boy lays on the cement, groaning in pain. The other boys run away, and I drop to one knee in front of the boy's face. He flinches away, so I lean down farther, trying to assure him I won't hurt him. Pain-filled green eyes look back at me for a short moment, then his eyes shut. Shit, he's blacked out. There's nobody else around, and I don't want to leave him. I sit up on the cement and try to check him over. He has far too many bruises on just his face alone for this to be a one-time thing. Poor boy. I give him a once-over and notice that one of his knees looks slightly larger through his jeans. That can't be good. This is one of those moments when I really wish I hadn't left my cellphone on the coffee table.

I look over the boys features. He has chocolate brown hair, and I can still remember his bright green eyes. The rest of him is incredibly skinny, almost like he doesn't eat. He has so many bracelets going up his arm, they almost reach his elbow. He's dressed in a maroon hoodie, loose black jeans, and white converse.

Maybe I can pick him up and carry him into the school. He doesn't look like he weighs very much. I slide my arms under him and slowly lift him up. I was right, this boy isn't heavy at all. I situate him so that his head is on my shoulder, and slowly walk towards the school.

Everyone in the hallway turns and stars at me, shock written all over their faces. I really hope they don't think I did this to him! I'm a nice person! I really am! I would never do this to anyone! I follow the signs posted in the hallways and figure out how to get to the nurses office. Luckily the door is open, so I'm able to walk right in. The woman at the desk looks at me funny, then points to a cot. I lay the boy down and go over to the nurse. She probably thinks I did this, too.

"Um, I found him on the sidewalk. He passed out, and I think he may have hurt his knee." I say.

"Are you a new student?" She asks. I don't see why that matters.

"Yes, but how is that relevant?" I ask.

"No reason." She answers. Huh, weird.

There's a sniffle from the other side of the room, and I look over to see Harry sitting up, tears pouring down his cheeks. I hop up and go over to the cot, sitting on the edge and wrapping an arm around his skinny body. "Harry? That's your name right?"

HARRY POV

"Harry? That's your name right?" I look up to see a beautiful blond boy with bright blue eyes. Why is he helping me, nobody in this school cares about me.

There's a searing pain in my knee, and I don't know why. I remember Louis, Liam, and Zayn attacking me, I just don't get why my knee hurts like this. The pain is overwhelming, and tears pour down my face. I give the boy a small nod before burying my face in my hands. Someone touches my back, and I flinch away, expecting this boy to hurt me like all of the others.

"Harry, I won't hurt you, I promise." The boy says. I look up at him through tear filled eyes. He seems to be telling the truth. When he reaches his hand back over to me, I lean into his touch. "I'm Niall, by the way." Niall. That's the perfect name for the gorgeous boy at my side. If you haven't noticed I'm not exactly straight.

"W-why are you h-helping me? N-nobody likes me." I stammer.

"We'll I don't see why not! You seem like such a sweetheart!" Niall says, making me blush.

"Uh, t-thanks. My knee r-really h-hurts." I manage to choke out. Niall look down at my knee, he somehow knows which one is bothering me.

"Roll up your pant leg, Harry. Let me look at it." Niall says. I try to roll it up, but my jeans won't roll up that far. I shake my head at Niall.

"OK, then. Can you stand on it?" Niall asks. I sling my legs over the side of the cot and try to stand. The second I'm on my feet the pain intensifies. I start to slump over and Niall catches me. Having him practically holding me is the best feeling in the world! I get lifted off the ground and set on the cot, and then Niall lets go of me. I miss having him hold me already.

"He needs to go to the hospital." Niall tells the nurse.

"No!" I practically shout. If I go to the hospital then the boys will have more of a reason to pick on me and call me weak.

"Harry. I'll go with you. I'll protect you. Don't worry." Niall says, pulling me into his lap.

********************************

Well, I tore my ACL, at least that was what the doctors said. Niall wanted to come with me, but the nurse made him go to class. Now I'm on crutches and have to keep a brace on my knee. The boys are going to see it as a weakness and use it against me, for sure. Maybe Niall will stay by my side for a little while, at least. My mum has decided to drive me to school until I can walk like a normal person again. Mum drives me home, and I hop slowly into the house. I can't go up stairs for a while, so mum had Gemma move my things to the guest bedroom. I hobble into the bedroom and lean my crutches against a wall, then jump on one foot over to the king sized bed, collapsing on top of the covers.

A/N: Hey guys! So, just because I have three.... Yeah, I think three... Of you guys asking, here's the next chapter, wayyyyy earlier than expected. Please comment! Or vote!