1

My black patent leather Jimmy Choo pointy top pumps clicked against the floor as I walked down the halls of Hamilton Elementary School. I spoke to some of the teachers who stood out in front of their classrooom doors, waiting for their students to get to class.

I continued on down the hall unto I got to the cafeteria door. The line was moving smoothly. I walked around and made sure all the students had breakfast, whole grain strawberry poptart, an orange and carton of milk was on the menu. I checked the time on my gold Nikon wristwatch. The bell is about to ring in about two minutes.

When the bell did ring, all the students cleaned up their trash and went on to their classrooms.

I put my clipboard down and grabbed a wet wash rag to clean off the tables when I heard the sound of someone crying. I stopped and turned around saw Shayla, leaning against the door frame.

"Shayla, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I missed my b-bus and my m-mommy dropped  me off l-late." She cried.

"Are you hungry?"

"Yes but I missed b-breakfast."

I looked Shayla up and down and noticed that her clothes looked like they hadn't been washed in months. Her hair was frizzy, slightly matted and her face had dried drool stains on it. Whoever her mother is did not help get her ready for school this morning. I would never allow my child to come out the house looking like this.

"Stay right here for me, sweetheart." I said.

Shayla sniffled and nodded her head.

I went in the cafeteria's kitchen, "Mrs. Debbie, are there any poptarts left?"

Mrs. Debbie pointed to the last poptart there was and I grabbed a carton of chocolate milk.

I gave it to Shayla and she quickly ate it.

"Girl slow down before you choke on your food." I laughed.

Shayla smiled weakly and slowed down her chewing. She finished eating and threw her trash away. 

"Thank you Miss Jones." Shayla hugged me.

"You're welcome sweetheart and here," I wrote her a pass, "Go on to class."

Shayla took the piece of paper and ran on down the hallway.