one

A/N: *important to the storyline* Esther and Elena make a deal to link the Originals to Elena. The rest of the details will be revealed, but that's basically the premise of the story

"Matt, I.... you don't have to do this for me." Elena sighed softly, watching in discomfort as Matt carried most of the heavy cardboard boxes holding everything of value. Yet, she had nothing of importance in those boxes, as well. So much of her life was on display for the Mikaelson eyes to hungrily devour--to use as weapons or ammunition or taunting conversations. She could not pack anything that actually held value to her, only the bare minimum for her to survive with her life and possibly her sanity--not likely with a house of Originals only a shout away

After that fateful dance where she had interacted and played nice with all the Originals, she had been living on autopilot. She had been living with the backlash of her actions. As harsh as it was, Matt was just collateral damage in this twisted deal.

Elena's life meant more than any other life in the whole world--whether to use her as leverage or protect her to protect themselves. Witches, vampires--mortal enemies, would have her as protection or a means to an end. Never a human, never even a doppelganger; always a sacrifice.

Linked to the most powerful family to exist; she was their Achilles Heel. Obviously they weren't going to allow her a life outside of their jurisdiction, outside of their vast rule. Even though she had made a move to secure another layer of protection from them, they would always have the upper hand. She started to believe the common saying among the supernatural: love is weakness. Because despite her power, she would always have to bargain for lives that had value to her, for lives that would devastate her to lose. There weren't many to protect, yet still, she had given so much for their safety.

Klaus insisted that he stay with her, demanded that she needed more safety than the Gilbert home offered. After a week of torment, death threats and all, she finally convinced Jeremy to leave for his safety--to pursue a human life and career. He begrudgingly agreed, if only to ease her guilt. Every time Klaus threatened her, he threatened Jeremy and he saw the guilt and pain warring within his sister. He did it as a mercy, knowing she would be the safest human in Mystic Falls.

Yet, this only drove Klaus' desire of keeping her safe from all harm--real or paranoia induced. There was no easy solution and no easy way to come to a solution, but eventually Elena put her foot down saying she would only live with Matt--only trust Matt. She yielded on the proximity of her new house to his, though. It was an agreement and neither side came out victorious.

Two weeks had come and went without a problem. Matt and Elena worked as a team to create their ideal suburban home, fully furnished, but also very empty. It was reminiscent of a hotel room rather than a home. There were no memories, nothing of importance to either of them. Still, the lack of Mikaelson's was a relief for the length of their move-in. Rebekah would often be found at the end of her driveway, with the youngest male Mikaelson beside her as they blatantly made a point unsettling and watching their 'new neighbors'. And she was unsettled, but felt much safer with Matt by her side. He would keep her safe, and--further than either Salvatore--he respected what she wanted to do.

Even with his hatred of vampires and the supernatural world in general, he was the first to offer his support on her decision.

Esther wanted to kill the Originals, but she couldn't do that. She couldn't kill Elijah and therefore could not kill the rest of them. After nearly an hour of taking through possibilities, Elena convinced Esther to spare them for another hundred years. She told the witch to allow her children to find their absolution and she finally - albeit reluctantly - agreed. That meant someone had to be link with them, someone human to give them a mortal lifetime once again.