Chapter 1

"Janet, hurry up I haven't got all day!"

I huffed in exhilaration and swept my brown locks out of my eyes. Grasping my clipboard, I hurried after Dr. Ducette before he could yell at me any more. After walking for what felt like miles, we stepped into a scattered yet tidy room with a patient beaming up at us. Dr. Ducette smiled at the old lady.

"Good evening, Mrs. Jennings. Is there anything you need?"

"I would like some coffee, dear," the granny said hoarsely.

"Good, good. I'll be just a minute as I get that for you."

Ducette walked out the door. Normally, I was assigned such a mundane task, but last week I "accidentally" dropped a patient's order of food. One thing to learn about Magnolia Medical Center is that if one messes up drastically, their medical teacher will get irate and never assign them that task again. I chuckled subtly and focused on the patient.

Her cheeks were sunken and her gray hair was scattered over a satin pillow. Her pale skin matched that of the white hospital mattress. Despite her feeble disposition, there was a mysterious glint in her emerald eyes--a flash of powerful energy that seemed esoterically familiar. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Suddenly, the door opened and for the first time, I was glad to see Ducette's face.

"Here's your coffee, Mrs. Jennings."

The lady grasped the cup from his hand, all the while not breaking eye contact with me. I could not understand why she made me feel so uneasy.

Dr. Ducette cleared his throat. "Ms. Ibarra, please present the patient's situation."

I took a deep breath and flipped through my clipboard. I could not mess up this time; literally two days ago, I mistakingly called a woman patient Mister. It wasn't that big of a mistake, obviously, but Dr. Ducette's reprimands were annoying. He's what? Five or six years older than me? He still treats me like a baby though, just because I'm an intern. Prick.

"Sarah Jennings, age 67. Patient was treated for a foot fracture using an Endelope on the day of 7 May 2058, merely 24 hours ago. Foot appears to be fully healed, but Patient has been complaining of excessive chest pains and exhibiting worm-like cysts on the left shoulder."

"Very good," he remarked, ticking a sheet with his ridiculously large pen. He should just stick that up his--

"Can you please proceed with the diagnosis and treatment plan?" Thank god I studied instead of watching Flexnit.

"Patient is exhibiting symptoms of Vermi Syndrome, which typically occurs from ages 50 to 70. There is an easy cure for this new illness; the patient must consume three pills of Vermicide a day--one each consecutive hour--and then stop use after symptoms have subsided."

"That is exactly right. Mrs. Jennings, a pharma-nurse will have the treatment available for you today at 8:00 PM, and you will be free to go soon. Remember, stay happy and healthy."

The old woman nodded in acknowledgment and her stare bored further into my skull. Quickly, I followed Dr. Ducette out the door and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. I headed toward the Intern Dorms area. Finally, my eight-hour learning shift was over.

"Ms. Ibarra, a word please."

I paused and clenched my teeth.

"Great work today, Janet."

Well, that statement was a first. "Thank you, Doctor."

"You have shown considerable growth, but you cannot simply mess up one day and be outstanding another. You should always be prepared. I like consistency. Be ready by 5 AM tomorrow, you have a splenectomy I need to teach you about. Oh also, remember to serve me my coffee right every morning, you always put too much sugar."