Chapter 8 (Reflections and Realizations)

(POV SCORPIOUS)

Despite it being October, a deep chill had settled in my bones as I stormed through Hogsmeade. I was frustrated and cold and upset with... well myself. What was going on with me? Why was I in such a state over a simple jab from Albus? It's not as though it was unlike anything he'd said before. Or that it wasn't something I told myself in the mirror every other day. This was all getting too complicated.

Rose, with her dark red curls, smatter of freckles, and intense persona... she was everything. She was the cup tea I drank each morning to wake me up. She was the first fall of snow and flower buds in spring. That fire which blazed in her had bled into every aspect of who she was and what she did. She had been fierce competition on the Pitch before she retired to prioritize her dream of being an auror. And she'd always been a force of will in any classroom. She was simply too much and too good. I felt a pang in my chest at the realization... I could no longer pretend that I felt secure when matched against all of that.

I halt my journey back to the castle.

What am I supposed to do with that?

First, Ethan, now Albus, and what next? What else am I going to let get in my way? What other excuses can I come up with to cover the fact that I don't feel secure enough to truly commit? Rose is everything and I'm... the heir of a horrid legacy and tarnished family. I'm not the brightest wizard of my age, I'm not the most daring or performative, I'm not well loved... but she is. She is one of the cleverest, hardest working witches and she burns brighter than anyone else. What is a shadow like me next to that light?

A brisk wind ruffles through the trees as I stand before the front lawn and the Black Lake. The wind causes ripples across its surface. The usual collection of students who study outside is absent and the overcast sky seems to have grown darker. An ill omen and assuredly a sign I should stop wallowing in self pity. Taking a deep breath I collect myself best I can start the journey to the library.

(POV ROSE)

What a wonderful day! What a splendid time with my lovely friends! I am bouncing with contentment as I enter the Great Hall with Lily. Having bid Alice goodbye and good luck just half an hour ago and quickly dropping our shopping bags in our dorms, Lily and I walk in arm in arm towards where I usually sit with the boys; I but neither is there.

"That's odd, rare of either of them to miss a meal," I mutter and Lily nods in agreement. We both sit down and I begin to scan the Hall.
"Surely they didn't get drunk on the first Hogsmeade Pub crawl?" she says skeptically and I scrunch my face in uncertainty.
"If they did they better be back before the gates close. I'm not calling the prefects or professor for them again." I say remembering the last time this happened.
Sighing deeply, Lily begins to pile her plate with food, "It's unusual," she states, "... how they've been acting this semester I mean." Frowning, I nod my  agreement.
"Something has been off. With all of us, even me. Maybe it has to do with Alice being gone?" I volunteer.
"Maybe," she replies sounding not completely convinced.

We sit for a while in relative silence before I realize I've not touched my food. I'd come into the Hall so happy and now... I'm wallowing in confusion. When did my life become so melodramatic?

Lily seems to pick up on the fact my thoughts drifted and sets her fork down. "I know it's been hard for you without Alice. Plus your NEWTs. This hasn't been the year you were expecting," she observes surprising me at her clarity. "If you need someone, I'm always here." She adds.
"You're the one in her OWL year, if either of us needs support, I should be offering it to you." I tell her, upset with myself for bringing her mood down with mine.
"You know, mum always said Aunt Hermione was the only one Uncle Ron could've ever married. because she was just as stubborn and self sacrificing as him. You're a lot like them both." she says and my expression turns more shocked. Lily has always had a quiet intensity to her. Despite her flirtations and cool-girl front, Lily had an uncanny ability to see things more clearly than most.
"Thank you." I manage, "You know you're very observant for your age." I finish and she laughs a bit.
"Yes well, being the youngest of us lot, I've had to develop some skills haven't I?" she replies and I smile back.
"Why don't we spend more time together Lils?" I ask and she takes a deep breath.
"You've always had your own world Ro, with the boys and Alice. I was excited when you'd let me in, but I always felt like the younger sister just getting to tag along." she admits and my smile falls.
"I'm sorry." It's all I can really say.
"It wasn't your fault, it's the nature of things." She says and pauses for a moment before adding with a laugh, "I mean what else would motivate the outrageous flirtations and bids for attention."
"Lily Luna," I laugh and lightly shove on her arm. I've always considered her as a sister, but perhaps that's been part of the problem. Maybe I need to view her as more of a friend.