September 4, 2008

First day of school... with the 5th graders.

Well, it was still the same school. Just a bunch of way older kids and new, awesomely hard work. Totally normal.

During breakfast, my mom came over and gave her a package of pens. 

"For good luck," she said, kissing the top of my head.

"Thanks...?" 

"Soybean! Hurry up, you're gonna miss the bus!" My dad yelled.

"I am?" I asked.

"Oh, wait. Never mind. That was your old bus," My dad smiled sheepishly.

"I have a new bus?" 

"Oh, yes. The principal insisted. Said you'd be able to make new friends. On the bus." He added for emphasis.

I rolled my eyes and ate my scrambled eggs at a much slower rate as to not choke.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Adam Kelly?"

"Here,"

"Jennifer Miller?"

"Here!"

"...Sophie Foster?"

"H-here..." I stammered.

"Um... where?"

"Here!"

The fifth-grade teacher peered into his spectacles.

"Oh... there..." he said. "Are you sure you're in the right class?"

"Yup."

"You're... Sophie Elizabeth Foster?"

"Yes,"

"We do not tolerate jokes in Grade 5."

The teacher looked even closer. He leaned so far over his desk, he was probably going to fall over it.

"You look like you're five."

"I am five." I retorted.

"Then you should be in the SK class, not in Grade 5!" a boy said.

"I belong here." Sophie cried. "The principal sent me here!"

"Let me check."

The teacher, which Sophie now knew was Mr. Carpenter, went over to the phone and dialled a number on the phone and started whispering fiercely to it. Sophie could hear snippets of what he was saying:

"...Sophie Foster... in my class? ... WHAT?... are you sure... ask principal... wow... can't believe... fine..."

A few minutes later, her teacher finally seemed to believe that it as true and not some prank and began lessons. 

"Sophie Foster. I have asked for permission to put you back into Kindergarten if you are not qualified enough for Grade 5. Now," Mr. Carpenter said, addressing the whole class, "Take a package each and finish it within the hour. If not, you are unqualified for Grade 5," He said directly to me.

So that was the first day of Grade 5.