Puzzles and Needles

I knew I was dreaming because both my parents were sitting in our living room and actually interested in me. My father less so, his eyes were more drawn to the newspaper in front of him. My mother on the other hand, had her usually neat blond hair, loose behind her ears. Her bright blue eyes creased as they gazed in my direction.

"Jonah, how are you feeling?" She said handing me a big mug filled with earl grey tea.

"I don't know," I said looking uneasy at her. "My body feels kind of hot and achy."

My mother frowned. "Well why don't you come sit here next to me," She patted the empty space on the couch beside her. "And drink your tea, it has no sugar and a couple of ice cubes, just how you like it."

"Thanks," I smiled and sat down. I looked over at my father who scratched the top of his pepper head. He played with the pen in his hand and his foot tapped in agitation. I sighed, "How many letters?"

"Eight down, meaning a pleasant smell." He said without looking up.

I chewed my lip and went over the mini dictionary in my head. After a beat I grinned. My father glanced up from his puzzle and shook his head before looking down again.

"I spend fifteen minutes on this word, getting no where, and you managed to figure it out in five seconds."

My mother mirrored my expression as she nudged my shoulder. "Go on, tell him, before he has a fit."

My father gave my mother a look and my smile grew bigger. Dream or not, the moment was so pure I never wanted it to end. I turned to my father, "Redolence."

I woke up feeling something so cold on my forehead it stung. My eyes fluttered opened to see Asher giving me a soft smile. His face was blurry and I could hear other people in the room, but it hurt to lift my eyes, so I just concentrated them on the person in front of me.

"What's going on?" I asked barely above a whisper. My body felt sore and I could feel my blood thumping through my body.

"You're fine," Asher said calmly as he placed his hand on my cheek. It was cool and slightly wet from holding the washcloth that was now on my forehead. "You just have a fever from over exerting yourself."

"Oh, okay," I yawned, feeling drowsy again. "Who else is here?"

"Just my friend Scott and Doctor Wood." Asher looked up briefly. His face twisted briefly before turning soft once more.

"Will I have to go to the hospital?" I mumbled.

"No," Asher let out a small laugh.

I closed my eyes. "Good."

I nuzzled into Asher's hand and fell back asleep.

This time my dream wasn't so pleasant. I was six again, and my father and mother had placed me in something familiar to a dentist chair, the only difference was it had straps to hold my arms down. My parents wore surgical masks and both had needles filled with strange colored liquid. I shook and twisted in the chair, begging my parents to stop.

"Think of what the scientific journals will say about you!" My mother said in her usual cheerful tone.

"Come on, champ," My father added. "It's just a couple of shots."

I knew this was a dream as well because my parents would never do something this extreme, nor would my father ever call me champ.

I screamed waking myself up from the dream in the process. Again, Asher was right beside me, soothing me with a gentle hand. Only this time, he was covered in blood.

When I could breathe normally again, I shook my head, "Why are you always bleeding in front of me?"

I didn't really know if I wanted to find out the answer, but I wanted to change the subject before he had asked me what I was dreaming about.

"It's becoming a bad habit, isn't it." He chuckled.

"Part of the job description, I suppose," I closed my eyes and smiled.

What I didn't expect, was to feel another pair of lips against mine. I forced my heavy lids open to look into Asher's steel blue eyes. The corner's crinkled when he gazed back at me.

"You liked that one, did you?" I smirked.

"Your a lot more forward in this condition," He noted with a bit of surprise in his tone.

"I'm a lot more of everything in this condition," I arched my brows, but couldn't stop my eyes from closing again.

"Don't do that," Asher huffed.

"Don't do, what?" I teased.

Asher pressed his lips against mine once more. This time the kiss was quicker, but harder, as if he was battling with himself to stay or leave. I snaked my hand around his head and pushed him closer to me, to make his decision easier. I could feel him smiling against me and I smiled back, but before he could deepen the kiss, he pulled back. He placed my hand back down and I didn't protest.

"Thank you," He whispered in my ear and I dozed off once more.

The third and final time I woke up, the room was pitch black and I was completely alone.