Chapter 6: The Unthinkable Bile

I woke up with the sun rays in my eyes. I was pretty surprised that sunshine actually came in the Dorothy Forest. I noticed that Mae was right beside me laying her head on my shoulder. I take a strip of her hair and slowly braid it like momma taught me. When she woke up she noticed the braid and smiled.
"You would do a nice job being a hairdresser," She teases. I smile. She stands up.
"So what and where is this Unthinkable Bile?" I ask picking up her backpack from the ground.
"It's a vile filled with the most powerful things in the universe, the trouble will be stealing it, it is guarded by the many forest creatures across the land," Mae explains. I take a breath in. Wolves.
"W-what kind of animals?" I stutter.
"Bears, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, mice, owls, moose, deer, oh and yes, I almost forgot, wolves," Mae said.
"Why can't we just m-make a deal w-with them?" I ask kicking a stone.
"Well, you see, if we had Finn here maybe, but you have to be an animal expert to be able to communicate with animals," Mae frowns.
I close my eyes and remember when I had met a raccoon when I was five and we became the best of friends . . . maybe he would be there.
"I'm not afraid to try. C'mon we better get going," I say. Mae leads us down the hill and we walk into the forest. It's all quiet, but then I hear a rustle in the bushes. I look over, but before I can investigate closer, somebody whips Mae and me around. I was relieved to see it was just Meagan and Nathan.
"Hey, we heard you guys were off to find the cure for Jasper, we came to help you find the Unthinkable Bile," Meagan said.
"Who told you that?" I asked.
"Blake," Nathan answered.
I shuddered at that name. "You okay?" Meagan asked.
"Uh yeah. Guess still a little cold from last night," I smiled.
"Oooookay."
"Anyway, what's next Mae?" Nathan looked at her.
Mae started telling them the details. I quietly snuck away and headed for the bushes. Just then, I heard rustling in the leaves. I looked up at the trees and I froze. There he was, the guy in black. The Him.
He smiled. "Don't let a little music hurt you, Asher." Just then, loud music started playing through my ears. I covered them and started rolling on the ground.
"Asher!" Mae yelled rushing towards me while Meagan and Nathan stood behind her with guns out.
"Make it stop!" I yelled.
"There!" Nathan yelled and shot up at the trees with Meagan joining him. They must of hit The Him because the loud music stopped playing and all was peace and quiet.
"You guys seriously did not hear that throbbing music?" I asked trying to stand up but I slipped and fell down.
The shook their heads. "Are you okay?" Mae asked trying to help me up.
"Yeah," I replied as I stood back on two feet.
"Alright. Good. We need to search for the Unthinkable Bile as soon as possible. Uh man I wish Finn was here to help us," Mae muttered and started walking.
It took us a while. We traveled 4 hours on foot and had 3 15 minute breaks. Finally, we stopped at a clearing.
"We're here," Mae said.
"Here? It must be wrong. There's nothing here," Meagan said loading up her gun.
"It's not wrong. I checked every single book and it all said right here," Mae argued.
Just then, we all heard soft chittering and a bunny came out.
"Aww. Cute bunny," Nathan cooed. He walked closer and he stuck out his hand to pet it. All of a sudden the bunny shifted into a raccoon and bit his hand.
"OWWWWWWEEEE!!!!" Nathan cried hopping up and down with the raccoon latched onto his hand.
"What a cry baby," Meagan mumbled shooting it. I screamed and smacked her gun to the ground. I ran to the raccoon and cradled it in my arms.
"What was that?" She cried picking up her gun again.
"Risco!" I yelled hugging him.
"Risco?" They all asked in unison.
"Yeah, Risco. My best friend when I was five," I picked him up for everyone to see. "He's friendly. Here."
I handed Risco to Mae. Mae nervously pet the raccoon. The raccoon purrs and licks her hand. He runs over to me and squeals as if he wants me to follow him. So I come, but Mae, Meagan, and Nathan hang back. Risco hands me a little vile.
The Unthinkable Bile!! After I grasp it I hear rumbling. Than howling. All of a sudden, wolves are surrounding me at all angles. I can't move. I can't talk. I can't even blink. I drop the Bile. My hands are shaky. Risco is cowering in the bushes. The wolves step closer. All of a sudden one of the wolves yelps and falls over, Meagan runs in.
"BACK OFF YA DERPS!!" She yells, firing into the air. The wolves flinch but don't back off. Instead 3 of them morph into bears. I'm still planted in the ground. Meagan tosses me a gun.
"NATHAN!! GET OVER HERE!!" She yells wrestling on the ground with a bear. Nathan doesn't come, neither does Mae. Meagan let's out one final cry before the bear ends her with an incredible swipe. I stare at her lifeless body laying on the dirt, and I freeze up even more. All of a sudden my brain moves to a different place; I'm inside an animal. I feel the movements. I mumble something and I return to normal, but all of the animals, including Risco are cuddled around me. I pet one of the bears softly and stare over at Meagan.
"Forest Guardian, you have come to take the Bile, you have my blessing. Here, take it," an old graying bear says softly. He hands me the Bile and all the animals walk away except Risco.
"C-can you all talk?" I ask. Risco shakes his head and scampers over to Meagan.
"MAE PLEASE I NEED YOU!" I cry, a tear slides down my cheek. Mae runs out from the bushes followed by Nathan.
"I- we only left for- a- how?" Mae stutters. I explain what happens and she kneels beside Meagan.
"I-is she ok?" Nathan asks softly. Mae shakes her head. I pick up Meagan's gun and hand it to Nathan.
"She did good."
"Y-ya." Mae mumbles something under her breath something about Finn. Risco climbs onto my shoulder and squeaks. I hand the Bile to Mae and we head off back down the path.
"So, what's next?" Nathan asks.
"You should go back to camp," Mae mumbles. Nathan looks at her somberly but then he leaves. When he's gone Mae leans on my shoulder and cries.
"Hey, it'll be okay. C'mon, Blake'll be proud when we say she came for Jasper," I say wiping away her tears with my sleeve. She nods.
"The next ingredient is the Ghastly Eggshells. They are located in the Hexiy camp, we will have to steal them at night," Mae coughs standing up and headed north. Oh no, not Commander Retreo! Again!