Chapter 24

The next morning—Christmas Day—I rolled out of bed at six and stretched. I needed to get up before Tia to give Luke the first part of his Christmas present, which was, well, me.

I checked my hair in the bathroom mirror and brushed my teeth, then wrapped myself up in a red satin ribbon, centring the bow over my breasts. A pair of stilettos and the Santa hat I'd retrieved from the kitchen cupboard completed the ensemble. Just in case Tia rose early, I slipped into the short silk robe Luke had bought me last week. Running into his sister almost naked wouldn't be a great start to the day.

I tiptoed along the hallway to Luke's room, and the look on his face when I shed the robe and woke him with a kiss said my efforts had been worth it. He grinned from ear to ear as he pulled the bow undone.

"Best Christmas present ever."

"Lie back, hot stuff. I'm doing all the work this morning."

He settled his head back onto the pillow, and I feathered kisses over his chest, feeling a hitch in my own as my heart skipped a beat. Getting sick of this man's body would be impossible. I moved slowly downwards, rewarded by Luke's sharp intake of breath as my mouth closed over its prize.

When he neared the edge, I rose to my knees then lowered myself onto him until he filled me completely. Time for my morning workout, and I didn't mean the gym.

"Hurry up, baby," Luke urged. "I'm not gonna last long."

I stopped moving. "Patience is a virtue."

"And lust is a sin. I prefer that one."

Seeing as I was no saint, I gave in and obliged him. And myself, obviously.

Afterwards, I lay there, boneless, draped over Luke, lazily kissing along his jawline. I confess, this Christmas present was for me as well as him. Gradually his breathing slowed, and he dropped into a slumber.

I stayed with him, his arms wrapped around me, careful not to fall asleep myself. A bittersweet moment. Luke was a beautiful man, inside and out, and in sleep he looked younger, without the worries that usually haunted his features. Kind and gentle, generous and thoughtful—one day, he'd make somebody a wonderful husband. But it couldn't be me.

I sensed Luke's feelings were becoming deeper, and sooner or later, he'd want more commitment. Commitment I couldn't offer. Right now, being in Lower Foxford made me happy, and it was so, so tempting to stay. Luke was easy to live with, and I saw potential in Tia. Life was good. So, why did I have a problem?

Well, because it wasn't my life.

Work was more than just a job to me. For years, I'd believed it was what I'd been born to do, no matter how challenging or unpleasant it could be. Conflict raged within me—should I stick with straightforward or return to my destiny?

If I stayed, would I be able to keep my past a secret? Easy in the short term, but what if Luke fancied a holiday? Or wanted me to accompany him to functions? Staying within the boundaries of the village forever wasn't an option.

Hammering at the door interrupted my thoughts.

"Come on, get up!" Tia yelled. "It's Christmas and there are presents to open! Hurry and put your clothes on."

Luke stirred awake. "Tell me again, why did we let her move in?"

"Because she's your sister and you love her dearly."

"Not at this moment, I don't."