The Unusual Hero

I sat alone on the grass waiting for Jake. It was recess and my confusion was annoying me. I wanted desperately to know what was going on. I was surprised when I saw him walk around the corner and greet me with a smile, I'd never expected him to show up.

"Jake?" I looked up at his muscly figure. "Please tell me what's going on?"

Jake helped me up off of the ground. He looked around cautiously. I glimpsed a flash of black from a tree nearby and instantly I knew it was Chelsea. I saw the glow of her ear piercings and the flick of her hair.

"Not now," Jake whispered so I could barely hear him. He walked away silently.

I didn't see Chelsea anywhere anymore. I tried to hide the dissapointment on my face as I looked around for them. I gave up and sat back down on the ground and buried my head in my hands out of frustration. When I looked up again I saw Sam and his group far away. I recognised a few of the people in the group. I scanned their faces and stopped on one. He was facing my way, looking in my direction. I immediately started to panic and I felt my stomach doing flips. He looked down quickly and walked silently away from his group. No one noticed he was gone.

Realisation hit. It was the same guy who had glanced at me and not laughed when Sam was teasing me. He didn't seem like the rest of them. He actually seemed... Nice. Wow, I was really stupid to think that one of Sam's friends would be nice.

***

At lunch I sat alone again, and ate alone, without Jake, without Chelsea. I saw a flash of blonde hair behind one of the buildings and walked towards it. It could've been Jake. I was dying to know what was going on and I wasn't getting any answers so I'd have to do this the sneaky way. I pressed myself up against the side of the building and took a deep breath. I poked my head around the corner and saw the pair talking. I was right, it was Chelsea and Jake. I quickly hid again and listened carefully.

"What happened wasn't fair, I agree but she can't know," I heard Chelsea say. She sounded so tired and worn out. "It'll only put her in danger."

"She's my best friend. I can't keep going on like this, keeping secrets," I heard Jake whisper harshly.

"It's to protect her. I don't want her to be another victim of Sam's. I've been spying on him. He's going to make her a victim. We have to protect her!" I heard Chelsea plead. Silence followed and I quickly escaped.

My heart was beating fast in my chest and I could feel knots forming in my stomach. What did she mean by I was his next victim. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Why did it suddenly feel like the whole world was against me?

***

At the end of the day I walked with Jake to his house. I'd noticed that Chelsea had walked a couple of metres behind him. They never talked in person, only behind buildings in secret.

"Chelsea!" I called. "Come join us," I offered. Jake gulped beside me and kept his eyes on the path in front of us. He didn't look back at Chelsea.

Chelsea smiled politely then replied, "I've got a sore foot. I'll slow you down."

"That's alright," I said stopping in my tracks. "We don't mind."

"We need to get home," Jake muttered pulling me by my arm.

I looked back at Chelsea and she gave me a reassuring smile. I had a bunch of things to think about. Chelsea was scared of Sam but she had the courage to slap Reece, Jake was keeping secrets from me and for some reason I was in danger and I was being protected.

Once we entered Jake's house I stood with my hands on my hips and raised my eyebrows. I wasn't very intimidating but all I could do was try.

"I wish I could tell you," Jake stuttered.