Chapter 1

The Hybrids

Chapter 1

Zenaida Elizabeth Alden waited impatiently for her father to come home. Then she’d finally be able to ask him, she’ll tell him about her GCSE results first, and then ask the dreaded question.

Her painted electric blue nails tapped the marble counter rhythmically. Their home was an old stone cottage which they’d renovated, for example the conservatory was mostly made from glass and wood that blended in with the stone’s natural colour.

Sure, the house was beautiful, she thought, but it got boring after a while.

The intercom buzzed, and she jumped slightly before running over to it, ”Dad?”

Hey sweetie, did you have a good day?” Her father’s voice buzzed through the intercom that opened the gates about two hundred metres up the driveway. He’d been away for over three days this time, always off on a business trip as he was the CEO of Alden Electronics: He’s designed many different army firewalls and other software, but it was all secret though.

“Yeah, and my results came today!” She said excitedly, practically jumping on the spot. She’d had many tutors in as many GCSEs as she could handle but had to visit the department of education to sit her exams. She was ecstatic, but hadn’t even opened the envelope yet. But there was several creases around the edges and almost open on one side.

That’s great, I’ll be there now. So dinner’s ready?”

“Yes, your favourite!” She answered before pressing the button that opened the gates. She went over to the oven and took out the casserole dish and was just serving it when her father walked in. He was tall and had black hair, but was greying and he was often seen wearing a suit. Overall, she bared no physical resemblance to him, but everyone they knew could see the similarities between them. Their intelligence for example.

“So how was work dad?” She asked. He sat down hastily and began to eat.

“Can’t stop to chat, I got a call as I was driving through the gates, the firewalls for the national bank are being hacked, and I’ve got to leave for London before it’s too late.” He said, rushing through his food.

Zenaida sat down at the table,” For how long this time?”

“I don’t know, something this big could take weeks to fix.” He shrugged, then pointed to the envelope on the table,” How about you read them out to me?” He asked, meaning her exam results.

She nervously picked up the letter before quickly opening it, know that her father was in a rush to leave. Again, she thought sadly.

Her eyes glanced at the paper, and her father could see her eyes light up,” I got eleven A*s!” She squealed happily, passing the paper to her father. She had an ‘A’ in physical education, but that wouldn’t matter, her father said it wasn’t a ‘real subject’ anyway.

“I’m so proud of you Zenaida.” He said, smiling at her. She felt on top of the world at that moment: She had made him proud of her. He always called her Zenaida, never Zena like anyone else would.

Not that she knew anyone else: It was just her and her father.

“Are you alright Zenaida?” He asked, genuinely concerned. He leaned across the table and nudged her arm gently,” You can tell me.”

“Can I ask you something dad?” She asked quietly.

Her father waited until he’d swallowed the bite of sausage casserole she’d made for him,” Anything Zenaida, tell me what’s wrong.”

Then she asked the question,” I’ve passed everything dad, so can I go?”

“Go? Go where?” He asked, looking up from his half- eaten dinner.

“Well, you said that if I got As in everything....I could study my A-levels in school.” She said nervously.

He pushed the plate away from him, ”School? You want to go to school!”

She cringed into the chair, ”Yes.”

“What’s wrong with staying at home, learning in a safe environment. In school, you would get distracted by friends, and...boys.” He grimaced, now standing in front of her.

“You don’t trust me do you dad?”

He sighed,” Zenaida, we’ve been over this before, you have a medical condition, you need to stay here, safe and away from anyone who’d hurt you.”

“I can take care of myself.” She said firmly.

He smiled sadly,” You don’t know what I’ve done to make sure you’re safe. I won’t lose you the same way I lost your mother.”

Zenaida was shocked, this was the first time he’d ever mentioned her mother, and it stunned her into silence.

Her father took that opportunity to kiss her on the forehead,” I’m going to pack, and I’m going to write to the education board to see if you can re-sit your P.E exam, we can’t have only an ‘A’ can we?”

She looked down at the slate tiles in shame,” No father.”

“Good.” He said and left the kitchen, leaving her to clean up the mess.

Ten minutes later, he’d packed yet another suitcase and was standing outside the house, and Zenaida in the doorway. It was about ten at night, and there was a light snow dancing in the cool wind. She folded her arms close to her body for more warmth.

“So I’ll be back in four weeks, two months tops.” He said, closing his suit jacket.

Two months?!,” Okay father.”

“And remember not to let anyone in the house?”

“Yes father.”

“And to practice for your re-sit?”

“Yes father.”

“And to stay in the house at all times?”

“Yes father.”

“And most importantly,” Her father leaned closer to her, so that they were at eye-level,” Don’t ever mention school again.” He said darkly, his eyes glinting in the dark.

She nodded and within ten seconds he was spending back down the drive.

Did he just...threaten me? She thought.

“Probably just her over thinking things.”She said to herself before walking back into the dark house, alone.

Or so she thought....