Chapter One - An Ignorant Sod, In A Nice Way

Sherlock was on his laptop, making modifications to his website, sitting in his favourite armchair, in his flat, at 221B Baker Street. Well, actually, it wasn’t his flat, even if he had insured that Mrs Hudson’s husband was killed in Florida. It was his and John’s flat. Where was he anyway? Sherlock hadn’t noticed that John had gone out with another possible girlfriend four hours ago, even if John had told him, Sherlock wasn’t listening. His website was more important than John’s girlfriend.

Sherlock looked up from the computer screen. The flat was just about clean. Mrs Hudson had been away for a week on holiday in Brighton to visit her relatives, so she hadn’t been here to clean up, so John and he had to make do to keep the flat habitable. 

Sherlock sighed and looked at his watch. 11:56. When would he come back home? Then Sherlock heard the front door close.

‘I’m back.’ John called as he climbed the stairs and entered the lounge room to see Sherlock typing on his computer. ‘Whatcha doing?’

‘Editing. How was your date?’  Sherlock asked with a low voice.

John nodded. ‘Good. It was…good, yeah.’ John then looked at his watch and yawned. ‘Have you heard from Mrs Hudson?’

‘Yes. She’s coming back tomorrow.’ Sherlock let a low chuckle slip from his lips. ‘She’s looking forward to seeing how we coped with living on our own without a housekeeper.’

John shook his head. ‘Mrs Hudson isn’t our housekeeper. She’s the land lady.’

‘She may as well be, on how much she cleans around here.’ Sherlock muttered. ‘She said that she had a good time in Brighton with her sister.’

‘Good…good, that’s very good.’ John took his coat off and draped it over the armchair opposite Sherlock ‘Well, I think I’d better go to bed. I have a lot of blogging to do tomorrow.’

‘Mmm hmm.’ Sherlock kept his eyes on the computer screen, typing something that John couldn’t see. Then Sherlock winced and shifted his position on the chair.

John nodded. Yep, this normally happens between them. The awkward ignoring and absolute silence.

John nodded. ‘Well, okay then. ‘Night.’ And John left Sherlock to write whatever he was writing.

Sherlock’s eyes followed John as he disappeared from view down the hall. Sherlock sighed and rubbed his eyes. He wasn’t long from bed either.

John had changed and slipped under the covers of his bed. His date went very well, until the part where he found out that his date was actually a married. He would prefer to date a woman that didn't sneak around behind her husband's back, not being picky or anything.

John yawned and reached to turn off his bedside lamp, then he heard footsteps go past his bedroom door, and into Sherlock’s bedroom and close the door quietly. Sherlock must’ve been tired when I came back. Wait…why did he wait up for me? He never does that. John’s expression was one of confusion and puzzlement when he turned out the light and laid his head on the pillow.

Small rays of light filtered through the curtains covering the window next to the street light. He listened to the quiet passing of cars until sleep finally took him under.

John whistled quietly as he poured hot water into his mug and mixed with his coffee. Sherlock wasn’t up yet, but John was planning on waking him up with the annoying sound of pot hitting with a wooden spoon down the hallway. That idea made John smile even more.