Chapter 4 - A Man's Worth by Derser

Chapter 4: A Man’s Worth (By Derser)

He had often stood in the midst of the men. He was a warrior if anything, not much of a leader though. He had no mind for strategy, or how to rule over so many. Despite that our castle stood glorious. It was not as extravagant as the golden city, but with its red brick and large walls it made up home. I had been leaning on a wall of one our beloved merchant’s store. Everyone had gathered in front of me. Well not everyone, only those with sons wondering when their sons would return from battle. There were at least a hundred people in the city square, my brother relieving himself of his armor in the middle of everyone. He was loved for his cunning and his ability to keep promises. I was loved for being kind, for being the smart one. I was loved for being a good little brother, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I stepped through the people cloaked in red to not be noticed. They were talking amongst their selves waiting patiently for Boris to address them. There were questions on what this was about. There were allegations that he might be under attack. With everyone believing us to be unfit to rule outside our walls and mercenaries all over the Elysium our gates could be attacked any day. I knew what he was to say though. I knew that he would calm them. With a trusted brother by his side he could do anything, I believed. I welcomed the thought of their applause.

 “People of Daun.” There was silence as I had made it through the last of the citizens to the platform. “My brother and I would like to speak to you for a moment. I am aware that you all have things to do, but I have good news.” I threw my cloak back and let him place his arm under my shoulder in rejoice. “Your sons, your fathers, and your brothers are coming home! No more fear of any inferior houses and rebellions coming and taking what we’ve built. Lord Elijah and his band of miscreants couldn’t even beat a pressed attack on his own territory what makes him think he can come here and take ours!” They all began to scream and cheer for us. All I had to was smile. “I promised that with your help Derser and I would protect you until our dying days. Will I say promise well kept? And we will continue to keep at as long as Daun has the most loyal people in the Elysium!”

They all began to leave as Boris turned to me and with both hands and a smile he braced my right hand. “Another great and honorable victory brother,” He loosened his grip and started towards the middle road. “Come we will celebrate with wine and women.”

“I will meet you there. I must see off a friend.”

He turned to look at me while walking backwards, huge smile still resting on his face. “Well hurry brother. I fear if you take too long, all the women will be gone.” He winked before turning away.

“Well we wouldn’t want that now do we?” I heard from behind me.

I turned to see a boy no more than 23 looking at me with a bright smile. He was my height, black hair cascading down to his pecks and lower back, and had red eyes surrounding his hazel pupils. Besides his eyes though, what matters most were his hears and tattoos. His ears were sharply pointed at the helix and he had some sort of tribal ink in the middle of his forehead where his eyebrows stopped. It looked like a key hole, or a spider, but I couldn’t know. His people were secretive about everything. Even to their best friends.

“You seem rather excited to take your little trip. You’re not afraid?” I started walking past him.

He caught up started next to me on the right. “How could I be afraid? I’m excited.” He smiled. I stopped walking and looked at him with an unbelieving smile.

He looked back at me and we stayed silent as he tried to keep a straight face. After a brief moment he burst into laughter. I then placed my hand over his shoulder and continued walking. “Well I will give you anything you need to make the journey that’s at our disposal you know that right?”