Chapter 3

It's now 2 o'clock, Friday January 25th.

I got my foot wrap taken off and did some physical exercises with my foot at the hospital.

The cleaners left just before I got home. They locked the door on the way out and left a note on the garage key pad telling me they finished early.

I walk in, with a slight limp, and take in the clean atmosphere.

They had taken all of the trash and broken pieces, they had straighten my couch, replaced the window (which I forgot had been broken), and they fixed my clogged sink situation. They also put my vase and surprisingly still alive flowers back on my window sill.

I thanked God for the cleaners and then headed back to my laptop. I search for a realtor to sell my house.

After about two hours of searching I came up with two realtors that would call me back to tell me if they would take the job. I had told them about my situation and that to pay them for selling my house they could take some of my share in the money from the house.

My stomach rumbles at about 5:30. I curse myself for forgetting to grab a couple sandwiches from the hospital cafe. I think there may be some vegetables left in my fridge left over from Kylee so I go look.

When I get to my fringe I see a letter from Ms. O'Riley my neighbor.

Ryan, your sister had called me after the accident to tell me what had happened. Just in case you didn't know, I was the one who cleaned the house. Obviously some of my work was useless since that psycho girl (no offense) destroyed everything again. So I wanted to cheer you up a little bit. I know it won't last forever, but please enjoy some homemade food. No need to thank me, take it as a parting gift.
~ your neighbor forever Ms. O'Riley

I set the letter aside and open my fridge.

In the fridge I see five containers. All of them are about 5 by 10 size containers. There is also a bowl of salad with plastic wrap over it, and a 12 pack of coke.

I pull each one out looking at the delicious food inside. In one there is a colorful pasta dish with some vegetables.

The second and third ones carry my all-time favorite of all the O'Riley meals I've had. It is her famous meatballs and green beans.

In the fourth one there are many different kinds of bread rolls and bread sticks.

The fifth is a pan of chocolate chip brownies.

My heart aches at the lovely sight of this food, but instead of eating right away I run to my room and jump on my bed. I reach over to my nightstand and grab my phone.

Laying on my stomach I pull up Ms. O'Riley's phone number and call her.

"Ryan! How are you dear? I saw you got home a few hours ago. Did you get my letter?" Ms. O'Riley's sweet mother like voice floods through the phone.

"Hello, Ms. O'Riley. I'm getting better. I did get your note and I was just looking at all the delicious food. I'm pretty hungry too, but I don't like eating alone." I say sweetly.

"Oh Ryan. You don't have to hint at things with me. I'm on my way over, but don't even think about sharing that food with me." She says and I laugh.

"Why not? You're the wonderful chef that made it." I say. I prop myself on my elbow and rest my chin in my hand smiling.

"Because that's your food. And anyway I am in the middle of making my own dinner. I'll just bring this over and we'll eat our own food. How does that sound?" She says and I hear her oven beeping in the background.

"Sounds perfect Ms. O'Riley!" I say enthusiastically. Then we say our goodbyes and I go to my closet.

I pick out a nice white button down shirt and black slacks, knowing that Ms. O'Riley will be wearing a nice dress. I head to the bathroom and fix the nest I call my hair with some jell. I spray only a tiny bit of cologne remembering Ms. O'Riley's sensitive nose.

Then I head to the kitchen.

I choose four meatballs, a couple rolls and a chunk of salad. I warm up the meatballs and rolls and set my food on the table.

I pull out a couple cokes and pour them into cups of ice. I reach under my counter and pull out a colored straw and place it in Ms. O'Riley's glass. It's one of the unique things she likes to do.

I place them at my small table and I grab the flower vase and set it on the table as well. As I'm putting away the food back in the fridge I hear my door open.

"Ryan?" I hear.

I poke my head out of the kitchen and see Ms. O'Riley placing her bag on the floor.

"Ms O'Riley!" I say with a big smile. She looks up and she smiles.

"Why does it seem like ages since we've talked?" She asks.

"Because that psycho girl was distracting me." I say.

"I hope you didn't take offense in that." She says.

"Oh no not at all! If anything I agree with you." I take her light coat and fold it over the couch. She sets up her food and we talk. We talk for two hours.

About three cokes, and a couple brownies later Ms. O'Riley excuses herself and heads home. I clean up my plate and throw away the cans of pop.

It's now 9 o'clock and my house is dark. I turn on the outside lights and head to my room. When I sit down my phone buzzes in my pocket. The caller ID says Realtor.

I pick up the phone. "Hello?" I say.

"Hello, is this Ryan? Ryan Taylor?" A woman's voice says.

"Yes this is."

"Hi. I'm Jessica Lu. I'm a realtor from the Jack & Anderson Company. You called earlier today and I was notified to call you back." She states quickly.

"Ah yes. I did call. Are you going to be my realtor?" I ask.

"Yes sir. And I apologize for calling so late. I would've called tomorrow, but I wanted to make sure you hadn't already gotten another realtor." She sounds new. Almost like the nervous new kid in a movie.

"I haven't gotten a call back from the other company, but it seems I don't need one now since you called." I say with a half laugh.

I hear her give a nervous chuckle, "Looks like I got lucky. But back to the point, would it be okay if I came over to check out the house tomorrow morning? Just to see what it's like and to estimate a price?" She's sounding more relaxed.

"Yes that's fine." I say, "9 o'clock work for you?"

"Perfect. Then see you in the morning." She says and hangs up. What a strange lady. I grab my laptop and look up Jessica Lu. Nothing comes up.

I look up Jack & Anderson Company realtors and her name doesn't pop up. I look at the last time it was edited and it shows 2017, two years ago.

I shut my laptop and set it on my nightstand. After turning off the lights and changing out of my nice clothes into a large t-shirt and sweats I climb in bed.

I pull the covers over my head and pray that these stressful, busy days to come will take it easy on me.