II

SUMMARY: Lucifer thought he had found you, but had he? 

***

Lucifer, despite, his hardest effort could feel himself starting to give up again.

Months had passed without any sign that you had actually been there that night, and he was slowly beginning to believe the other's when they told him that it was a hallucination.

But somewhere deep in his heart, he knew you were out there. If he gave up, it would mean that he was giving you up - something he would never do. If he after thousands of years had passed still loved you just as deeply as he did before your disappearance, then a little more setback wasn't going to stop him.

He had even, despite his reluctance, prayed to his Dad, on the off chance that it would actually bear fruit. Not that he believed it would happen. He was still certain that he had a hand in your disappearance, but he was willing to do it for you.

Another thing, he had begun doing as his search continued without any new information was to talk to you every night. If there was any chance that you could hear what he said, then he was going to reassure you that he loved you and he would find you. No matter how long it took.

Nursing a drink on his couch, he sat in near darkness watching as raindrops smashed into his windows. So deep in his thoughts that he didn't even notice the phone buzzing beside him, Chloe's name lighting up some of the living room.

Not that he would have answered even if he did. He was starting to find her pestering irritating - he had a more pressing matter to attend to than solve some benign murders. He could understand she was worried and wanted to help but this was above her. If she couldn't deal with the fact that he was the Devil, then how was she supposed to help him with this?

No, it was better if she was left out of this.

He also wanted to spare her from the hurt. It had taken him months to realise the extent of her feelings, news that would have made him ecstatic before but now only brought feelings of guilt up in him.

He wasn't good for her. He couldn't give her what she wanted when his love was already being used on someone else.

Outside the storm picked up. Water started building up in the streets as the downpour continued to fall furiously.

It was almost a metaphor for his sorrow, he thought, chuckling self-deprecatingly. He brought the drink to his lips about to take a sip, trying to ignore the nervous energy pulsing through his body. His paranoid mind couldn't help but think that it was a sign that something was going to happen, but the rest of him shrugged it off. What's the worst that could happen?

Then a deafening explosion broke through the sky. Bottles started smashing behind him and he barely managed to dodge one heading straight for his head, shards flying in all directions when it hit the wall instead.

"What the hell?" he mumbled wide-eyed as he stared at his living room. It was as if a hurricane had formed inside his home, hurling bottles, chairs and whatever else it could get was around.

Lucifer stood still, unsure of how to react. He had no worry of getting hurt - the detective wasn't near - but how was he supposed to stop this? His powers weren't exactly helpful here, it's not like he could scare whatever was forming inside his house.

Just as the storm seemed to pick up, a brilliant light shone blinding so harshly that Lucifer fell to his knees in pain, hands pressing into his eyes to try and block it.

It took quite a few minutes before he hesitantly opened them, blinking to get rid of the black spots forming the air. When he could finally see again, it was as if nothing had happened. The storm had calmed down and the streets were back to normal. His living room also looked the exact same as it did before, everything unbroken and unharmed in its places.