Chapter 28: It's Raining Knights and Assassins

Kaguya staggered, the world shaking and undulating like a bad hangover. The sorceror she was talking with dropped like a sack of potatoes, knocked onto his ass. A plume of white dust filled the air, some specks sneaking into her helmet through open slits. Her eyes burned.

Can anything ever go right?

"Time to rock and roll." Kaguya dragged the sorceror up by the tabs of his robe. "You still with me?"

"Uhhhhhh..." The man moaned, white in his eyes.

"Oh for god's sake. It's just an explosion. Not like you have a flesh wound." Kaguya slapped him a few times. "Earth to Mr. Sorceror."

Hazy smoke obscured the tower. Below, she could hear the desperate struggle of haggard defenders. Each death cry was an arrow through her heart. Burnt flesh reeked, grilled monster meat littered around the destroyed gate.

Hope Luke's okay down there. Kaguya adjusted her helmet, pounding it into place again. The knight shook her head. Now's not the time to worry about others. Save as many lives as you can. That's your goal, Kaguya.

Around her, the dozen fighters on the tower roused, shaking off the concussive effects of the explosion. Some puked, while others failed to stand straight. The sorceror seemed to be doing pretty well comparatively. I guess some bean sprouts can impress.

"Why do my cheeks hurt?" The sorceror rubbed his face.

Kaguya grinned, dragging him to the edge of the tower. "You fell on your face."

"Oh." He frowned and straightened his robes. Clumps of stone stuck to his moustache, buried within the sophisticated bush. "You don't say..."

Oh man. Kaguya tried to hold in her laughter, but a chuckle escaped. "So what's your name, Mario?"

"No, it's Hughes."

"Close enough, that name certainly fits." Kaguya slapped him on the back. "Hughes, I need you to do something for me."

"Sure."

Kaguya nudged her head at the smoke. "I need you to clear the air. Use a spell or whatever you magicky guys do."

"What are you going to do?"

"You'll see soon. Hurry up."

Hughes sighed, an emerald aura curling around his fingers. The green matched his eyes, which shone with weariness and wisdom. "Mayday told us to save our amplifications. But if you insist..."

Kaguya harrumphed, stomping the ground once. "Mayday Schmayday. Don't worry about May, she's probably off cavorting by herself again. Live in the now, dandy Hughes."

"Your wish is my command." The sorceror thrust out his hands, settling into a fireball motion. Hughes' moustache twirled at the ends, windstorm blowing from the green light. His robe fluttered, whipped around in all directions.

"Hughes!" Kaguya screamed. The shrieking wind tugged and pushed, a living being of pure energy. Staggering, the knight anchored herself with Stormcall and her free hand, holding on for dear life. "I didn't ask you to call down a typhoon!"

"I'm concentrating!" Hughes brows furrowed, sweat pouring like a ring of waterfalls from his bald crown. The wind carried the perspiration away.

"If you had hair, you could've become a super saiyan!"

"I hate you!"

WHOOSH! The harnessed wind escaped from Hughes' palms and crashed against the acrid mist.