Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Kindness of Friends

Redwood, Minnesota, was a frontier town in the south-central part of the state. The Redwood River, a tributary to the Minnesota River, ran north of the town. It was the end of March 1877, and the winter had been a long, bitterly cold season, but hope for a new season was fresh in the air.

Farmers descended on to the town of Redwood at the end of March. Taxes were due on March 30th, and the homesteaders needed to secure their money and supplies for this year's crop. The surrounding area of Redwood had been through three years of locusts, devastating their crops. Some farmers stayed, but many farmers abandoned their homesteads.

The remaining homesteaders made their way to the First State Bank to pay taxes on their farmland. With the influx of customers, it overwhelmed Mr. Phelpson at the granite counter as the farmers waited to see the banker, Mr. Wainwright. The two men worked late every evening as the paperwork piled onto their desks.

Across the street, John and Isabel Webster had set up their temporary leather shop. Their original repair store and apartment burnt down in an arson fire.

Now the temporary leather shop was located under Charlie and Clara's apartment in the old café. Friends and family helped them clean out the cafe and paint the walls.They built shelves and worktables with a bench for his tools.

Since the fire, the Webster's stayed with Ruth and Pete Anderson. Ruth had offered John a chance to rebuild his shop on the original lot with her financial support from the lumber business she ran.

Ruth and Ben, Isabel's brother, assisted them with customers on the first weekend of the shop with all the farmers in town. For two days, townsfolk and farmers alike stopped to congratulate them and offer support. It gave John and Isabel hope for the future of their shop.

On Sunday morning, Isabel walked into their bedroom at Ruth's house and found John lying in bed.

"John, you're not ready for church yet?" Isabel asked. "Pete already left to get the carriage."

"I'm tired. Let me sleep."

"Please. We haven't been to church in two weeks. And after the show of support we have received from the townspeople, we can at least show our face and count our blessings."

"Gus was right."

"What?"

"Gus was right. He told me to wait and see. The honeymoon will end soon, and the nagging will begin."

Isabel's dark brown eyes shot wide open as she looked at her husband in disbelief. Her reaction was too funny, and John started laughing. Isabel grabbed a pillow and threw it at him.

"Hurry! I don't want to be late for church," said Isabel.

When Isabel reached the door, she turned and smiled. "Thank you."

How could he say no to her?

John got out of bed to get dressed for church services.

Pete Anderson, Ruth's husband, brought the carriage around, and the four of them rode through town to the schoolhouse for services. Isabel enjoyed the music, and it surprised her how many of the lyrics she remembered. After services, Pastor Swenson made an announcement to the congregation.

"I would like to ask Mr. and Mrs. Webster to step forward. We are happy to see you both this morning. As a congregation, we offer you our deepest sympathy at the recent loss of your home. On behalf of our church members, we would like to present the Webster family with donations we gathered to help you rebuild your home."