7. A Long Goodbye

Thorin and Kaylea spent several idyllic weeks in Lothlorien. It was hard to say exactly how long they stayed, since time passed so differently in that fair land. It was summer now and the days were pleasant and warm. They took many walks in the woods, rode the horses past the borders where Hector would join them in the foothills of the mountains. Some days they just stayed near their pavillion, eating too much or sparring with their weapons on the lawn. This always seemed to bring a few Elves out to watch. Kaylea would usually invite them to join, and Thorin very much enjoyed using some of the moves Kaylea had taught him, it was rare he did not win a match. There were many of the Fair Folk who lived in Caras Galadhon, the place had a sort of hum about it, the sound of many soft voices and singing was often heard in the evening, but they rarely seemed to come to the ground. Occasionally when they were walking an Elf would hail Kaylea and they would exchange pleasantries, they were always polite to Thorin though they seemed to think of him as a kind of novelty.

Thorin received a letter from Fili with the news that he had a new son. He felt his heart leap with joy, impatient to see the boy, though his wife would not be back in Erebor for many months yet. He looked over at Kaylea, mending the bridle of her horse at the other end of the table, he found himself idly wishing it was her son. But he also had a hard time picturing her as a mother, there was so much steel in her. His son was one of the chief joys in his life, the one thing he did not regret about his marriage.

Kaylea felt his eyes on her. "What news from Erebor, my king?"

"I have another son," Thorin said. Kaylea looked up at him.

"Congratulations! That is very good news," she said. Thorin looked at her, his eyes narrowing.

"If I may ask, did you lose your ability to bear children through some injury?"

Kaylea shook her head. "No, I was designed that way..." she paused, shaking her head "I mean I was born that way." She put down her task and looked at him. "And you can ask me anything, you know that."

Thorin grinned. "You just refuse to answer most of the time," he said. "Alright, how old are you?"

Kaylea met his gaze. "I am almost 3000 years old, my king."

Thorin's eyebrows shot up. "Are all your people so long-lived?"

"No, most Dorsai live about twice the span of years as Dwarves. There are a very few of us who are much longer lived. Undying, like the Fair Folk." Kaylea got up and came to sit next to him. "I hope it does not change your opinion of me to find out I am as old as an Elf."

Thorin smiled, squeezing her hand. "No, I expected you were very much older than you look." He reached over to brush her hair back from her face. "And in all that time, you have never been married?"

"I have not, though I have been in love three other times," Kaylea took a long breath, remembering. "Twice to ordinary men who are gone now, once to one of the specials like me. But I have never loved anyone the way I love you, my king. You quite swept me off my feet the first time I set eyes on you. That has never happened to me before." She ran her fingers down one of his braids. "And what about you? How many times have you been in love?"

Thorin chuckled. "When I was younger, I fell in love a few times," he said. "Though I never wanted to marry anyone until I met you." Thorin smiled slyly at her. "If you have not been married, how can you say you will never be? How do you know until you have tried it? You did say I could ask you anything."

Kaylea laughed. "You are incorrigible!"

"Thank you, my love," Thorin replied.

Two mornings later Thorin awoke in the grey before dawn to find himself alone in bed. He looked around and saw Kaylea, dressed in her underclothes sitting in one of the soft chairs. She had a grave, thoughtful look on her face, her mind was far away. Thorin felt his heart sink "You are leaving."