Living Again~ Sixteen

CHAPTER 16

Today was going to be utterly horrible.

I was going to have to come face-to-face with the jerk again. I groaned, getting out of bed. I just brushed my teeth and went downstairs in my striped pink and black pajamas because I knew Joe and Claire would be at work by now. I just needed some breakfast before I could face the day. I didn't even both fixing my hair which was extremely messy. Monday mornings suck.

I grumpily put a foot in front of the other on the steps, making my way towards the kitchen lazily. I finally got off the stairs and rounded the corner into the kitchen, ready to swallow anything edible. 

I stopped in my tracks. There sat Ethan, leaning against the counter watching me. 

What the hell was HE doing here? I thought angrily. Before I could say anything he smirked saying, "Nice outfit."

"What are you doing here? Get out!"

He very slowly  walked towards me while saying, "I'm here to explain what happened."

He was now standing right in front of me, so I had to tilt my head up to look him straight in the eyes and say, "Fine. Explain."

"Okay, let's sit down." He walked towards the living room. I narrowed my eyes, this whole thing seems really weird. I followed him anyways and saw him sitting on the left side of the big couch. He patted the space next to  him but I just raised my brows, unimpressed, and sat of the far right, keeping as much distance as possible between us.

He rolled his eyes, "Now, tell me exactly what you're upset about."

My mouth fell open slightly. After all this time, he still needs me to clarify it? I took a deep breath in and spit out each reason at him, 

"Firstly you treat me like shit and bail on me on a date, and then you apologise and force yourself into my life. I hated you for it at first, but then things changed and I realised you really were sorry. I let you in to my life. I finally admitted that  I really did consider you a friend. I allowed myself to smile and laugh, I was happy! And then one night I find out that all these events which took place for the past 2 weeks which had changed me as a person, were just for a freaking BET for you! They meant then world to me, and for you it was just for money? How on earth could you expect me to be okay with that? How could you play with someones feelings like this?!" 

I was gasping after giving my long speech. I looked at him, hatred in my eyes. His face blurred because tears were welling up in my eyes and I harshly  rubbed them away. He reached forward towards me but when I flinched at  his closeness, he sat back. 

"Marissa," he sighed. "Don't you get it? Don't you get what Rebecca is doing?"

Confusion fazed me. Rebecca? What did she have to do in this? If anything, I should be thankful to her for to have opened my eyes to Ethan's real personality.

He groaned loudly, "She KNEW my phone was at your  house. So she took her chances that you'll check the message."

I was skeptical, "How did she know you left it was at my house?"

"Our parents are friends, her family came over that night and I mentioned that I left my phone at your house so I could borrow someone else's. So she SMSed me that, knowing you will probably see it!"

"But why would she do that to me?"

"Because she hates you!"

"But why does she hate me?"

"Because I like you!"

I let that sink in. "You like me?"

He sighed, "Isn't it obvious? I've told you things I haven't told any of my closest friends. I try to spend as much time as I can with you. And I want to help you get over everything that ever happened in your past because I want you to be happy. I can't see you sad, you don't deserve to live like this. You're beautiful, Marissa, I would never do that to you."

His eyes were full of sincerety. I wanted to cry but I was too happy. We were both breathing heavily at the intensity of the situation. But I still had to make sure I got the situaiton right, "So you didn't make a bet on me?"

He laughed. "No, I'm not that desperate for money. I wouldn't do that to some stranger, let alone one of the most important girls in my life."

"ONE of the most important girls? Who else is there then?" I teased him. 

"My little sister, she always comes first. But I'm willing to make exceptions for you." He winked at me.

I smiled widely then cleared the distance between us, hugging him close, never wanting to let go. I couldn't stop smiling. Now I felt stupid for jumping to conclusions. "I'm sorry... for not trusting you."

He shrugged, "It's ok. Rebecca is a bitch, it's her fault not yours."

"Yeah, I never knew someone could be so selfish."

"Don't worry, she's just jealous of you."

I frowned, as much as I hated to admit it, Rebecca was one of the prettiest girls in school. "But she's gorgeous."

He rolled his eyes. "She's nothing compared to you."

I blushed, looking down. I didn't want to look like some shy idiot so I changed the topic, "So what do we do today?"

"Well, we could go shopping for the paints like we were going to. Oh yeah, where were you on the weekend?"

"Katelyn, my bestie, invited me over to her house so we could catch up. And I got to meet all my close friends from before! Even Chad was there!"

He frowned, "Chad? Your ex?"

I laughed at his expression, "Don't think so much. He and Katelyn are dating now!"

"Oh good." He exhaled in relief and I rolled my eyes. 

"So are we just going to sit here all day or do some shopping?"

"Okay let's go. But I think you should get changed." He looked pointedly at my outfit. Crap I forgot I was wearing my girly pajamas. "Let's go upstairs, I need to check something in your room."

He did some measurements in my room, and checked all the paints we would need while I showered and got dressed in a cute yet casual dress. When I got out he was standing in front of the mirror. He wasn't looking at himself though, he was looking at my reflection when he asked, sounding upset, 

"Where's your list?"

"H-How d-did you know about that?" I stuttered out.

"It was on display on your mirror, anyone who comes in here could see it. So I saw it when I was here the first night. But you didn't answer my question, where is it?"

I played with my hair while saying,  "I, um, tore it to pieces and threw it away."

His forehead creased, "But why would you do that?"

I looked down at my feet and mumbled, "I thought it was stupid of me to think I could accomplish all of those things."

He came up to me and hugged me towards him. He breathed in my hair, I felt goosebumps descending down my body. No one had ever made me feel this way. I loved it. 

He cupped my face in firm hands and lifted my head up so I had to look at his face, as much I was too embarassed to. "Marissa, I will make sure you do all of those things. I promise."

"But the list is gone."

Now it was his time to look nervous as he let go of me. He ran a hand through his hair saying, "Actually, I sort of quickly took a picture of it and when I went back home I wrote it down, so I could keep track of your progress."

I narrowed my eyes, "Well that's very stalker-ish Ethan Reed."

"I know, I felt like a creep but I just-"

"Shhh, no explanations. It's ok. I'm flattered." I laughed. This whole situation is just so bizarre. 

"You are, are you? Well that's good. Because I happen to keep the list in my pocket at all times."

My eyes went wide. I whispered, "You really do care don't you?"

"Of course. I adore you Marissa Miller."

I couldn't help but smile. No one could make me feel this happy except for Ethan.

Today was going to be wonderful.