Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Marc loaded the last bag inside Jax’s trunk before slamming it closed. It was early morning now, the sun making its way up into the sky as they wasted no time putting their plan into motion. He didn’t want to risk the would be kidnappers returning to try again or follow them out of town. Andrew was keeping a sharp eye out, patrolling the grounds every ten minutes or so until he headed back home after the car was packed up and everyone was on their way out.

Jax was limping as he joined his uncle by the car. “What about the rest of the family?”

“I already spoke to Mitch when he dropped Kid off and he agreed to take some vacation time off of work. He and Mary are on the next flight out to Paris for a second honeymoon. They didn’t argue with me.” There was no mistaking the bitter undertone lacing his words.

Jax laughed and leaned into the car to take the weight off his hurting leg. “She’s still used to being the one that has to call the shots. Lack of control still resonates a bad feeling.”

“I know but this is still my pack and I’ll decide what’s best. There’s no reason for any of you to be sitting ducks. You need time to heal and Livvy doesn’t need to be scared again.” He felt it deep in his heart that he was very overprotective of the girl. When Jax had been that same age he was the same way wanting to shelter the young child from any danger. Now Jax was in his twenties and Marc still wanted to protect him and in turn his young family. It was comforting to know Ariana could take care of them just in case but if they planned this right they should be safe.

“I agree and you haven’t heard me protest. Ariana agrees too but she wants to come back and help you. She’d never forgive herself if you got hurt again trying to protect her.”

“I’m a big boy.” He smiled and ignored the memories trying to push forward. “You both just need to take care of Livvy and I’ll keep you up to date on things here.”

“Thanks.”

“You don’t have to thank me. It’s my job and responsibility to watch out for you and I do it gladly.” His smile grew as he watched Kid carry Livvy down the porch steps, the young girl was holding her favorite stuffed doll in her hands.  He wanted the day to come that she could live some sort of normal life without some government wanting to kidnap her for experiments.

Ariana followed behind Kid and Livvy, locking up the door as the last one out of the house. Her bright eyes were relentless with anger and directed solely at him. Marc didn’t really care if she was upset by his decisions. He knew he could think better if he knew they were out of town safe and sound.

“Great,” Jax mumbled under his breath. “she’s pissed and I’ll be the only one around for her to take it out on.”

Marc couldn’t stop himself in time from laughing at his nephew’s distain. “You’re hurt, just milk it until you’re back home.”

Ariana stopped in front of where they stood at the trunk of the car. “I can hear you, both of you.” she glanced at Jax. “I’m not going to take out Marc’s bad choice making on you. We’ll go and enjoy this like a vacation until he calls begging for my help.”

Marc rolled his eyes, geez she was a stubborn pain in the ass. The old Ariana would’ve never been so bold, she knew how to strategize and accept the correct plan without fuss and she would’ve liked walking away from any known danger. This Ariana looked for a fight. “How did I survive without you as alpha all these years?” she didn’t appreciate his humor and that only made him smile at her expense. Strangely he was enjoying pushing her buttons. “Ok, bye-bye get out of here.” He turned around to go say his goodbyes to Livvy and Kid already smarty in the car.