Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

The following week was one of the best of my life. Bruce took me on patrols with his group. Nobody died. Sonia distracted Dad so much that I had some freedom. I spent time with people, listened to their stories, and finally felt like I might belong.

“You seem cheery,” Bruce commented as we shared sandwiches with Ruby and Tia one afternoon.

“Everyone does,” I said.

“That’s what living can do for you,” he murmured.

“Things certainly seem to be looking up,” Ruby said, but she sounded hesitant, as if she didn’t really believe it.

“Maybe help came farther south,” I said. “And that’s why they’ve stopped attacking.”

“Whatever it is, I’m not complaining,” Bruce said.

Sonia strode over to us, her expression grim. She stopped in front of me. “You’re with me and your dad tonight.”

Bruce frowned. “I thought Jess was with me.”

“You need a break.”

His brows arched quizzically. “A break? The world is falling apart, Sonia. We can’t afford breaks.”

“Tonight, you’re taking one,” she said in a tone that brooked no argument. “Jess and Adam are with me tonight. I don’t need you, okay?” She walked away before he could respond.

“She must be expecting a quiet night,” I said softly. “You deserve a night off.”

He looked at me strangely. “Yeah, maybe. Be careful, even if it is quiet.”

I was excited about going on patrol with Sonia, even though Dad would be tagging along. I respected her, looked up to her. She treated me like everyone else, and she refused to let Dad wrap me up in cotton wool.

That afternoon, in the car, Dad and Sonia were both too quiet, and a little squirm in my stomach warned of trouble ahead. I hadn’t gotten used to the tension between them.

“We’re pretty early,” I noted.

“We’ve a lot to do,” Sonia said. “Rest up if you want. I’ll wake you when it gets dark.”

I didn’t think I could sleep, but I closed my eyes anyway. The next thing I knew, the car was stopping, and the sky was dark. Sonia got out, but left the engine running. I opened my eyes as Dad jumped out of the car. I followed them and looked around at the grassy plain. Hills stretched as far as the eye could see, but they were like dark shadowy mounds with no sunlight to etch out the details. Unsheltered by buildings, the wind hit hard and true.

I spun around, shivering. “Where are we?”

“Yorkshire moorland,” Sonia said wistfully. “The only way you can travel freely right now. They can’t barricade all of this. The moors are the safest place I know.”

“Then why aren’t you bringing everyone here?” I asked.

“Because there are too many. It would be too hard to transport them all. Besides, it’s too open for so many of us. But for two, it might work.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I demanded.

She ignored me. “Adam, stay off the road. If you find shelter, you could hide here for a long time.”

He shook his head. “I like to keep moving."

She shrugged. “Then keep heading east, and eventually, you’ll come to railway lines. Follow them as far north as you can. You’ll come upon homes, but you’ll know before you get to them. Hopefully, you’ll bypass the worst of it and find your way out.”

“The worst of what?” I asked, beginning to panic. “What’s going on?”

“I can’t let you stay with us,” Sonia said. “I’m sorry, Jess, but I can’t risk it.”

I gaped at her in horror. “So that’s it? You’re kicking us out? You didn’t even let me say goodbye.”

“I’m sorry it had to end this way,” she said, walking around to the boot of the car. “But it’s the best thing I can do for those people. They were growing attached to you, but they didn’t know you. Not really. They might have tried to protect you if anything came for you. We’re not prepared for any vampires, never mind the very first one.” She popped the trunk and pulled out a bulging backpack.

“Please,” I said. “Let us stay. I’ll help. I’ll do anything. Don’t send us out there alone. I don’t want to run anymore. I’m tired, and I—”

She cut me off. “I have to get back.” She handed Dad the pack. “This is the best I can do. Good luck, Adam. Take care of her.” She looked at me as if she wanted to say something.

I shook my head. “How could you?” I turned and trudged through the heather.

I didn’t turn around when I heard the car door shut. I bit my lip as Sonia drove away, leaving me behind.

“We’ll be safer here,” Dad said when he caught up with me. “There’s no reason for a monster to look here for blood. We could maybe ride this out until it’s safe to find a boat out of here.”

“There’s no reason for us to be here,” I snapped. “There’s no shelter, no way of knowing what’s going on. We’ll get lost at best.” I gestured around us. “We’ll freeze before we find shelter!”

“I know you’re upset. It’ll be tough, but we’ll reach a safer place in no time. And we’ll try to find more about the radio broadcasts. A boat out of here could be the best option for us, and until then, we’ll outrun anything that comes for us.”

I didn’t want to know. I didn’t want to hear. I trudged up a hill in silence, listening only to my father’s heartbeat and the wind wailing across the moors.